ourdailybread“Why have I found such favor [grace] in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?” —Ruth 2:10
Some say that the American writer Anne Herbert scribbled the phrase “Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty” on a placemat at a restaurant in 1982. The sentiment has since been popularized through film and literature and has become a part of our vocabulary.
The question is “Why?” Why should we show kindness to others? For those who follow Jesus, the answer is clear: To show the tender mercy and kindness of God.
There’s an Old Testament example of that principle in the story of Ruth, the emigrant from Moab. She was a foreigner, living in a strange land whose language and culture she did not understand. Furthermore, she was desperately poor, utterly dependent on the charity of a people who took little notice of her.
There was one Israelite, however, who showed Ruth grace and spoke to her heart (Ruth 2:13). He allowed her to glean in his fields, but more than that simple charity, he showed her by his compassion the tender mercy and loving kindness of God, the One under whose wings she could take refuge. She became Boaz’s bride, part of the family of God, and one in a line of ancestors that led to Jesus, who brought salvation to the world (see Matt. 1:1–16).
We never know what one act of kindness, done in Jesus’s name, will do.
Lord, what do You want me to do for another today? Lead me. And may that person see a glimmer of You.
Share your ideas of how you can show kindness in the name of Jesus today at ourdailybread/facebook.com.
It's never too soon to be kind.
- tjh1963Take the time to listen to someone else who has struggles. Maybe you can't change their situation but just knowing someone else is listening can help
- shilo2140Amen! 🙏
- snowychesserAmen, for sure, AMEN
- loveforgiveAmen 🙌❤️
- _lgperez_In Jesus name I pray. Amen
- humblediscipleLove this!
- itsssnoreenLord I want You to use me for helping others.
- golfdork1Make if a part of your soul.
- tin_neechanSharing for those who needs food, shelter and Word of God
- davidlin3342Like Rachel's Challenge and Pay It Forward. It's great to show some love and kindness to everyone.
Log in to like or comment.