leighannduttonSeveral years ago I participated in an Eat from the Pantry Challenge, and it was truly life changing for me. We had just begun our healthy eating journey, and I was learning so much about how to cook whole, real foods. I was also learning how to stock my cupboards as a new wife, and the challenge was so good for helping me focus on using what I have while bringing to light my poor buying habits. As we embark on a new year, a year without blogging, I have some margin to really focus on some personal growth needs in my skills as the manager of my home. The kitchen is not my strong suit. I tend toward quick and easy, and I rarely choose to battle my kids on their ever changing food preferences. So this month I'm choosing to face the storm and charge ahead full speed. 🍽 I'm challenging myself to Eat from the Pantry. I've set some goals, written down my WHYs for doing it, and gotten my family on board. My (almost) six year old is as excited as I am about taking a challenge. I'm glad because he's my pickiest eater and the absolute hardest to please. But he likes growing in character and abilities. If you give him a goal and a focus, he will work hard. So, this challenge is multi-layered and likely means something different for all of us (@marktdutton is looking forward to an easier budget month), yet we are eager to see how we do!
What about you? Have you ever done something similar? What are your favorite Pantry meals? #pantrychallenge #goals #homemaking #budgetmeals #intentionalliving #bulletjournal #bujo
- my3ladybugsBeing home on snow days is helping to clear out some of the pantry and freezer for us.
- theanne1974I need this horribly bad. Keep me on check. I'll keep you full of thank yous.
- katie_bonnerWe're doing this too! We are selling our house this month and I don't want to pack a bunch of cans/bottles/boxes of food.
- thebooknookreviewThis will be me next week. I am trying to do this every couple of weeks because things stock up. It's really nice to only need to grab a couple of things!!
- nana61kimI need help in this area too. One thing I want to start doing is to make a list of meals I can make with the ingredients I have on hand. Its hard for me to remember what I have in the freezers and cupboards. I have the food, I just need a cook. Lol.
- youngmama2manyWe always keep rice, frozen veggies, eggs (in abundance! We typically buy 7.5 dozen at a time) and frozen meat (chicken, beef, or ground sausage) in stock so I can create some kind of stir fry at any given time. I always move over the meat to dethaw overnight in the fridge, and then the rest is quick and ready to go. I've found the key to helping my kiddos eat whole foods is adding lots of flavor with different kinds of spices. Even I don't feel like eating if I make something too bland😉 Frontier co-op has some great blended spices to make it easy. And if all else fails coconut aminos make everything taste yummy!
- leighanndutton@nana61kim that's what happens to me which is why I'm doing this. It makes me cook from what I have and just be intentional to use up stuff before it goes bad.
- leighanndutton@youngmama2many I need to look into coconut aminos. That's been on my list for ages!
Log in to like or comment.