hyperallergicFamiliar with ex-voto paintings? The ex-voto painting is a Catholic folk art tradition depicting individual misfortunes that were mollified by divine intervention. The artworks cover everything from quotidian accidents, like a flower pot tumbling onto a well-dressed man’s head in 1890 Rome, to more shocking tragedies, such as a woman stabbed in her bed in 1934 Guadalajara, Mexico, and were commissioned as a sign of religious thanks.
Ex-voto oil painting for a man who was hit on the head by a falling flower pot in Rome (1890) (via Wellcome Images/Wikimedia)
- veragirivi@hyperallergic look Madonna della guardia Genova
- helenbrookskelseyThanks! Didn't know about ex voto. 🙏🏽❤️👍
- villusionmouritLovely !
- tarissima@jolierouge you better know
- ebethavery@stellalooloo - odd and wonderful!
- melinda._.richardsonOoh @svasemesterabroad
- 833_2282Haha idk this reminded me of you @aylalogic your individual misfortunes call for divine intervention
- aylalogic@833_2282 really debated whether or not that caption was worth reading bc length Fml how will I do this semester
Log in to like or comment.