thehealthymavenI'll be honest, I was feeling pretty anxious before we left for Guatemala. I'm not one for resolutions, but I do enjoy the clean slate and having an opportunity to set new habits. This isn't always an option when you're thousands of miles away from home. But the trip ended up being pretty enlightening. In the same way that a lot of the daily habits that help me function at my best (meditation, exercise, an insane amount of water) end up getting pushed aside at home, I was worried I wouldn't be able to set the tone for the new year and incorporate them during this trip. ✨
I could not have been more wrong.
Whether you're halfway across the world or in your own bedroom, setting daily habits and actually following through with them is hard. Like really hard. And when you feel like your to-do list is never ending, you quickly find yourself putting your own self-care last on the list. I'm certainly guilty of that and by the end of 2016, my meditation habit was virtually non-existent and workouts only happened when I "had the time", which let's be real, who ever has the time?! But I once again learned the lesson that if you don't prioritize yourself, no one will and this certainly applies as much in your day-to-day life as it does when you're on vacation. .
This trip was not about me, but I granted myself permission to give myself the time I needed to do the things that make me feel my best. And if I could do it in the middle of the jungle in Guatemala, there's no reason I can't do them at home.
This lesson is a tough one and I'm quite certain I'll have to learn it again and again, but it's an important reminder that you have to choose your priorities, or they will always choose you... 🌎
Do you guys have any daily practices you're prioritizing in your life??? Hit me!
#maventhoughts #thehealthymaven 📷: @lederlemedia
- 24carrotlifeAmen!! I try to move everyday even if it's just a short walk or some stretching before bed. Totally doable no matter where I am!
- thehealthymaven@dahliaeats thanks girly!!
- thehealthymaven@24carrotlife THIS! I'm trying to simply just move in whatever way feels good and/or is feasible that day. It's been awesome😚
- getwellwithemLove this lesson davida! I'm trying to allow myself more down time while I work on growing my blog and virtual presence. It's so hard because it's a never ending to do list but sometimes I just need some reading or Netflix time!
- bc_sernaSweeeeet!! ❤
- theonlyemsterThank you for this inspiration! Needed it!
- hellotofit_Love what you say here!! 2016 was not about self love for me, and now it's definitely a priority- saying "no" at the right time, having down time and not feeling guilty about it!
- mamainthemakinYes! I love this Davida. This definitely resonates with me so much. The one thing that I trying to prioritize better is my self care. I often say yes when I want to say no and by the time I've done xyz for someone else I have nothing left for myself. 2017 is the year for me to change that.
- thehealthymaven@mamainthemakin I'm right there with you! We can be accountability partners😊
- thehealthymaven@theonlyemster absolutely! It's what I needed to hear too!
- organiclifeblogWishing you the best day! ❤
- thehealthymaven@getwellwithem girrrrrrrrl that's like the last 4 years of my life! Definitely going to add in a piece about this in my message to you tomorrow. Burnout is VERY real!
- thehealthymaven@hellotofit_ exactly! We always associate saying no as a bad thing but I think it's one of the healthiest things we can do for ourselves! Keep at it girlfriend!
- addicted_to_lovelyThis is so true. Always pushing my self care to the end of the to do list and it somehow never gets done... this year is about putting myself back at the top. Love your reflections ❤
- mamainthemakinI like that idea! ❤️👏🏻 Enjoy the rest of your trip.
- slim_sanityWorking out is definitely my biggest struggle. After baby I never made time. Now I'm back to 5 am workouts most days and it feels great! It definitely takes a strict routine to workout, get ready, get baby ready and be out the door in time for work. Hoping it gets easier after a while!
- margaritameleahI'm prioritizing healthy food and sleep right now as I go through a big health transition. Some days I need a nap more than a workout but I know eventually I will get to the place where I have more every to hit the gym.
- urhealthnutIm doing yoga for 30 days to get a good morning routine happening 😉
- thehealthymaven@urhealthnut been doing lots of yoga too! Was hard without a mat in Guatemala (made do with a towel) but found myself moving no matter what!
- thehealthyappleBeautiful lady!
Log in to like or comment.