bethanyrydmarkThis brutal week. My heart and head hurt.
This morning, my little family climbed the Butte and watched the sunrise and prayed over the city below. From up there, I could see the airport. The river that brought my ancestors to Oregon two hundred years ago. The neighborhoods of families who arrived in east Portland ten years ago...last year...just last month. We prayed for the people and our leaders. There is so much at stake. There is so much darkness and not enough light. But we are called to *be* light in a dark world.
Ted and I went to see Astoria: Part One this afternoon. I relished the escape, sitting in a theater, news off, watching the telling of fascinating history: geopolitics, business enterprise, landscapes, humanity. (It's a great stage production, by the way. Go get tickets if you're local. I asked for mine for Christmas and my parents sent us today and watched the girls 💛)
But it wasn't a complete escape. There is nothing new under the sun. What motivates us? What pushes us toward our next steps?
Can I ask us to pause and listen, please? Please? During this critical season here in the U.S. we will not be served well by more "us vs. them" -- we need to find each other, especially if we're to be a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.
Try to hear someone you disagree with long enough to grow a new level of empathy. I have friends all over the map, and I'm saddened and ashamed to see blindness and pride and fear wreak such havoc right now.
More olive branches, please.
- malarketingdeptLove you and your heart 💗
#rockybutte #columbiarivergorge #traveloregon #travelportland #upperleftusa #pnw #vsco #vscocam #seekinglight #chasinglight #resist
- bethanyrydmark@malarketingdept same back to you 💞
- portlandsamplerBeautiful-- and so true. I agree completely. Until we are able to hear each other, we remain a country deeply divided. Problem for me is I now oscillate between rage and desolation -- and neither are a good starting point to bridge the divide. Good for you for your empathy and compassion.
- cjcarpentersdaughterBeautifully put at this sad, hate driven time. Certainly an opportunity for us to all get on our knees, to open our hearts to those caught in the middle and to have our eyes set on what is pure, holy and right. 🕊
- ragnashBeautiful, thoughful and insightful...
Log in to like or comment.