alexbrackenI wanted to share this photo of my maternal great-grandparents, who immigrated separately from Greece at the start of the 20th century and found each other here in America, where they started a rather large family (I could only fit a few of their kids!), including my grandmother sitting there in the middle. They faced the prejudices and hardships of their time, as did many, many, many other immigrants from all over the world, but they never gave up hope that an imperfect system and an imperfect country would provide them with better security and opportunity than the lives they were leaving behind. When we turn our backs on those looking to come to the United States in search of a new life, especially refugees who are in desperate need of compassion and help, we lose sight of the very ideals and hopes that brought our own families here. #NoBanNoWall #resist
- leahestleahI love seeing pictures like this. Couldn't have been said better🙂.
- katherine0175Beautiful said! ❤
- heirixonWell this is adorable 😊
- chloe_reneeeHow many kids... my great grandparents where from Germany and had 15 kids
- orlaflowerMy family are mainly English, Irish Scottish, Welsh, and French. My grandmother has been doing Ancestry for 5 years. I still get blown away from reading about all my ancestors and what their lives were like. If it wasn't for them I would not be here.
- alexbracken@chloe_reneee 13 total! 😱 my grandmother was the youngest!
- curiously_george14OMG I'm Greek! My mother, uncle and grandparents came to Australia way before I was born and left their whole family behind (10 siblings and even more cousins on my grandmothers side and 3 siblings on my grandfathers side) good luck to everyone in the US for the next four years. Stay strong! 💪🏽
- nadinejoliecourtneyThank you ❤
- alexbracken@theycallmeval03 Yes! I've only visited once when I was 14 and really, really want to go back soon. I've been trying to support more Greece-based designers and brands whenever I can to contribute some small part to their economy.
- valerietejedaI had no idea you were Greek!! That is so cool!
- eleniabrI am Greek too.. Still living here and all these pictures I show today from Greek immigrants make my heart warm, but at the same time sad, cause we learn about it in history and these photos make it actually real. Thank you Alex💜
- eleniabrAlso, I am from a part of Thessaly.. Thesally includes Trikala, Larisa, Karditsa and Volos.. Maybe that helps? @alexbracken
- marwa_nyI love this ❤️
- avarvarezisMy relatives came over from Greece too! 🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷
- booklovers__2136Hey there I'm Dayna and it would make me super happy if you followed my book account it's @BookLovers__2136
- huntersofshadowThis is amazing. Love that you and many others are taking a stand ❤❤
- loumarlowebooksBeautifully said.💛
Log in to like or comment.