lenadunhamOkay, here goes: throughout my teens I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was fucking funny looking. Potbelly, rabbit teeth, knock knees- I could never seem to get it right and it haunted my every move. I posed as the sassy confident one, secretly horrified and hurt by careless comments and hostility. Let's get something straight: I didn't hate what I looked like- I hated the culture that was telling me to hate it. When my career started, some people celebrated my look but always through the lens of "isn't she brave? Isn't it such a bold move to show THAT body on TV?" Then there were the legions of trolls who made high school teasing look like a damned joke with the violent threats they heaped on, the sickening insults that made me ache for teen girls like me who might be reading my comments. Well, today this body is on the cover of a magazine that millions of women will read, without photoshop, my thigh on full imperfect display. Whether you agree with my politics, like my show or connect to what I do, it doesn't matter- my body isn't fair game. No one's is, no matter their size, color, gender identity, and there's a place for us all in popular culture to be recognized as beautiful. Haters are gonna have to get more intellectual and creative with their disses in 2017 because none of us are going to be scared into muumuus by faceless basement dwellers, or cruel blogs, or even our partners and friends. Thank you to the women in Hollywood (and on Instagram!) leading the way, inspiring and normalizing the female form in EVERY form, and thank you to @glamourmag for letting my cellulite do the damn thing on news stands everywhere today ❤️ Love you all.
- dvsdvsdvswhy what's wrong w yo' bod? I think you look great, Lena!!! If anything you've inspired millions of people to want to be like you. I think you're absolutely brilliant 👊🏼
- clararosethorntonFeeeeeeeels. Utterly marvelous.
- margotok21I hear ya...
- anacalexandre@sofia_botelho ❤❤
- torilonglegThis is my favourite post
- fisherp15When are you moving to Canada?
- sswasselThey say you should feel connected to your body. I can't even feel my neck. Who are you down there and why do you have potato feet?
- doreenreganYou got the last laughter Lena!!
- lisamatzoogravenLove you Lena 🙌🏼
- juliegauthier2405You're pure inspiration!
- thejustinmilosThird-wave feminism, in a nut shell, is a religious cult based upon victimhood and man-hatred that endlessly promotes poor hygiene and child sacrifice in the form of abortion. All heretics of their rigid ideology, essentially women who don't perceive themselves as victims, are berated as self-loathing sexists. Oh, and there is an unhealthy obsession of cats involved, too. Naturally, their devout followers are "annoying," not to mention darn harmful to society. Of course, the unfortunate existence of feminist royalty and self-styled sexual predator Lena Dunham, influences our naive young females to actually embrace this insanity. However, in America everyone is free to be as insanely annoying and socially destructive as they want. I.e. Good ol Lena
- thejustinmilosOh yeah^ Jenna Jameson wrote that
- valahalla1I don't agree with anything you stand for...except this. Well said.
- thesaucygoddess@thejustinmilos = Douche
- thejustinmilos@thesaucygoddess = joke
- jcullens1You are truly awesome!!
Log in to like or comment.