dallashartwigI'm always really interested in how people respond to other people. A woman wrote to me recently and grumbled about how inauthentic & contrived it was when I "matchy-match" my photographs with my words. I find her experience of me fascinating, because 1) I love noticing a specific part of the world and sharing that through my images, and 2) I think about things and write about them, and I see so much beauty in the world that it hurts sometimes. And since it's often a visual experience that catalyzes my thought process, it would actually be more inauthentic for me to post a flippant or random image alongside my words, or to start posting more pictures of my food, my exercise, or some other aspect of my daily existence instead of what I currently do.
This is a really interesting personal growth experiment for me, because there's a sharp contrast between the requests for my content to be lighter and more entertaining and my own intention of putting something meaningful out into the world. I don't feel criticized in any way by this feedback, and it's an interesting learning opportunity for me.
Here's my official response to folks who would like me to share "lighter" content: you can find that elsewhere. Instagram is full of people posting selfies with witty commentary, funny memes, pictures of them exercising, plates of food, new haircuts, and cats. Always, the cats. Listen, I eat, I exercise, and I get my hair cut, but in an attempt to make the world better in some small way, I largely keep that stuff to myself in order to reserve space for something more meaningful (based, of course, on what I find meaningful).
Let me say this another way: please don't follow me for entertainment. I'm not a performer, and I don't aspire to amuse you for 3 seconds until you scroll to the next feed. Most importantly, I don't want to be yet another distraction in the cacophony of our collective overstimulation. If you want amusement, there are people much funnier than me whom you should follow. If you want to grow along with me and ask some of the same questions I'm asking, I would be honored to share that experience with you.
Pietra Ligure, Italy, 2015. PC: @bymariecarmel
- smash2277@laineylove7 as you say, because it was raw...not much in Hollywood is. Own your truth, I love that👊🏼😃
- dallashartwig@nathaliek One of my favourite movies. I love you for making that reference. ❤
- nathaliek@dallashartwig 😎anytime
- whythispathIt's great that you've taken this person's bizarre experience of your life and established another step into a deeper existence and acceptance of yourself. Thank you for being strong in the face of criticism, and for not changing your authenticity for the pure "entertainment" of the masses. Your posts speak to the part of me that remains in reflection through the day and as I continue to shape who I am in this changing world. Your pictures capture the eye and your words capture the heart.
- clark1951Hmmm I think u did feel a little criticized....
- ashleygetsfit_nowI love this post
- dakota1173It's been my experience that when one strives to improve themselves, others are quick to throw negativity at them. Everyone has their own road to travel to self actualization. Keep the course and enjoy every second of your ride!
- melissat.mullenOh, please stay in the deep water! I wholeheartedly agree, we are all here for meaningful work and experience. Folks can just unfollow you at will, you have no responsibility to perform for them!
- rbarrow7👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 good for you! One of the reasons I enjoy following you is BECAUSE you don't add to the cacophony of distraction. You talk about real things that resonate with many people, myself included. Your work is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for bringing that to the table! Happy new year!
- laineylove7@smash2277 Thank you! "There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness and truth." ~ Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
😛👌🏼Be Rad Today. Own Your Truth. 😘 Xo You're more than welcome to borrow my life mantra, anytime ;)
- mujerinprogressWell said. 😃
- julieincaliforniaGood. Keep posting your real stuff. It's my favorite part of your posts. (Because you Can't and you Won't and you Don't Stop.)
- lepetitfoxknitsEveryone loves a good push up video though...I guess...maybe...actually not. 😒
- dallashartwig@lepetitfoxknits That's really, really funny.
- jesvictorExactly what I love about your feed. I specifically check it to "check out" from social media and into something far more meaningful. Keep doing you, it's what we are all here for.
- lulustyleslife@dallashartwig Yes, please, let them find it elsewhere!!! Love stumbling onto your gallery today. I truly needed it! I feel I am like you 90% of the time, grateful and in awe... but when that part of the wave comes and you feel tired and defeated, I try now to discover what is there waiting for me to know... what needs to be healed? And after surrender and doing all the right things to get back to gratitude and we need a little help? There's someone like you. Who I'm sure has days like these too... who reminds us with images and words to look up and get into nature and know, it's all a part of the ride. So thank you. Keep it authentically you. ❤ I'm also @wakeuplulu 🙏🏻📿💕
- justbananasukBased on this post, surely you have chosen the wrong venue to do this? There's so much intense and serious in the 🌎 everyday. Just 👀 at the news, pick up a newspaper, or eavesdrop on a conversation in a ☕️ shop. We all have to find a way to cope! The majority of people who use Instagram use it as a form of escapism: the pretty food 🥘 pics, 🏃 towards the ☀️, pics of kids doing funny things, it's all a form of distraction. Because for a second, you are surrounded by bright colours, people laughing, happy places. And maybe in that second you smile, or get inspired and all of a sudden you don't feel that bad and your life isn't so crazy. And everything is 👌🏾 (like these awesome emojis 😂)
- ak_aviatrixWell said
- megs_life26Thank you for posting words, pictures, etc, that make me think and feel more deeply. #ItsNotDrinkingAloneIfYourCatIsHome
- lizdialto"I don't want to be yet another distraction in the cacophony of our collective overstimulation." F that is goooood 🔥
Log in to like or comment.