decor8It's a quiet, peaceful first day for us today here in northern Germany where I've made my home since 2009. The air is frosty and refreshing, the sky is silvery gray like the most beautiful wall color you can imagine, the horses 🐴 are caramel and black and the trees, bare and vulnerable casting their silhouettes against the sky. I think about today, not 2016, not tomorrow, but today. We listen to classical music in the car. We stop to pet horses with our son. My husband said the weather was terrible. I saw it so differently than other times. I'd normally say, "Typical winter in Germany" but I instead had a first reaction that made even me pause for a moment. I replied that I liked it because it felt like a beautiful beginning to a new year. It is a somber and hopeful, a bit of 2016 leftover in the air yet a hint of fairy dust, like all will be better again soon. Even with the Istanbul attacks today. Even with more bad news to come. Even with January 20 and America soon changing drastically which could be good or bad but I'm not thinking it will be a mediocre or ho-hum kind of change. Yet there is one thing I thought a lot about today during our time in the countryside. How easily I can remove myself from any pain or loss or grief or hurt or worry or self doubt. I can put away my phone (which I did), I can stay away from Facebook timelines, I can choose NOT to read the news incessantly, I can decide to drink a good tea and eat really clean (I am), I can create peace and balance whenever I need to. I just need to choose it and then, find a spot that takes me to that zen zone. A forest walk, a country drive, the sauna, a cycling class, lighting some candles and taking a long hot bath (doing this tonight). // For 2017 let us all set a goal even greater than the ones from previous years. Let us set the goal to recognize that we are all choosing our life. We are not victims. We get up everyday and choose how we think, see, react, what we expose ourselves to. Let us make the goal to choose the best content, the best partners, the best food, the best reactions, maybe to just choose to edit our life a lot better in all areas. We are in control. // Much love to all of you!
- lunaticcaSo true, Holly. So poisonous not to feel in charge for the choices to make
- _dots_8Yes Holly, we can do all this and it is okay. But we are privileged, living in europe, having warm flats, enough to eat and some money left.... I often think how privileged I am and I am so grateful for that. I think of all the people around this world who don't have all that and it is not their fault!! Many times every day I just say: thank you. I wish you a very good year 💙
- celebrationlab✨✨✨ Happy new year Holly!
- ineshardonThank you Holly for this beautifull post. Your words do touch me. They are so genuine and from your heart. A gift, thank you. Wishing you and your family all the love and control 😉
- ellennijhuisbaarsBeautiful and very true. Your words give me hope.
- interior_playgroundBeautiful said Holly. I wish you a fantastic year! Lots of love! ✨💕
- la_evalinaBeautiful words!! Happy New Year!!
- decor8@_dots_8 true but I know many people who come from poor and undeveloped nations who report that people are happy there and some not happy, too. And life expectancy is the same as us or sometimes longer. They are choosing to be happy with little. I didn't always have a cozy flat in Europe. My journey has been long and hard and still is, because there are struggles behind many closed doors that go beyond having food and heat. Yet as far as we are able, we make choices. And the one thing we can choose is our attitude about what we have. We may not be able to move or become rich, famous or gorgeous. But we can choose to live the best we can within our means and cherish what we have -appreciate more and complain less.
- ziaprivenHappy New Year sweet lady! ❤❤❤❤❤
- tinasloYou always shine a light, Holly. Thankyou and all the best for you and your family this year.
- sonjavonfeingedachtSo well said, Holly @decor8! A very happy new year and all the best to you and your family ☀️💫
- decorativetouch@juniperspring11 ❤
- _dots_8Yes, you are right. We can choose the attitude to what we have and this does'nt depend on how much we have. More appreciation and less copmplaing is the positive way. 😀💙💙💙
- di.blackOh love what you have written. It really has so much to do with our attitude to things and when we make the choice to look at the positive it changes how we see things. Have a happy and contented 2017. Trouble will be with us always in the world but there are so many beautiful positive things happening too. X
- brgleesonHolly - I love this! So true- at any point we can change and write our story. Have a wonderful happy healthy 2017! xo
- leslieshewringAw wishing you good health and happiness for 2017 ❤️💫
- ecspinelligreat capture!! 😍
Log in to like or comment.