thecatdaddyAs 2016 comes to an end, I find myself still struggling to come to terms with the losses that have marked the year for me. It took awhile but I came to the conclusion that keeping the pain to myself just allowed it persist. So here goes..
On July 24th my mom finally crossed over after an almost two-year battle with Pancreatic cancer. Even though she survived (and thrived!) for much longer than many who have fought this insidiously aggressive strain, the time we bought was just not nearly long enough.. she really was my best friend..although I think I'll never quite get used to her physical absence, her belief in my work with animals is a constant hand on shoulder. My passion became hers - I'll always admire how she lived and how she faced dying. And I miss her something awful.
In the midst of my mom's final months, we were hit with another sucker punch - During a routine checkup, it was discovered that our cat Barry, 10 years old, had a mass in his abdomen that turned out to be a very aggressive cancer.. He was my wife Minoo's soulmate, something she told me on our very first date, showing me his picture and warning me that I would always play second fiddle. Barry's voice was always large, both in life (a distinct baritone like his namesake, Barry White) and on his own FB page.
Like mom, he fought with such an effortless grace, his special vibrancy and wit completely intact. And, like mom, although his spirit always shined brightly, it finally had to move on from a failing body. We lost Barry just a few weeks ago, December 18th - the day before my mom's birthday.
Both mom and Barry would be proud that through my foundation we've established The Barry Fund, to help other animals like Barry and their human families, facing the harsh financial realities associated with life threatening illness.
I know this is last minute, but please consider a year-end tax-deductible donation to The Barry Fund and if you can't, share the link. Thanks to all of you for letting me share my story. Nothing helps a broken heart heal like opening it again.
And finally, Team Cat Mojo, here's to 2017. Better days await!
- dabruteThinking positive thoughts and PRAYING for you, it is so difficult to lose our loved ones both HUMAN and our "FURBABIES" like so many others have said know that you will be reunited with them one day. Continue to LIVE each moment of every day sharing the LOVE that you had for your Momma and Barry with those you come in contact with, 2 legged and 4 . Best Wishes for a PROSPEROUS and ENLIGHTENING NEW YEAR! So sorry for your losses again.
- dabruteLook at Barry's paw on your shoulder letting you know that you WILL be OK and that he and your Momma are with you ALWAYS
- josee_talbotMy deepest condolences to you Jackson. I lost my father to cancer a few months ago... I deeply understand how you feel. I am sure she is there, watching over you, making sure everything is going strong for you! Been watching My Cat From Hell for a while and you made me learn so much about cats! Thank you for your wonderful work! Happy new year to you!
- stroxy64so very sorry for you & your wife's losses, may God comfort you both🙏🏼🙏🏼
- bragabarrettYou resemble your mother.
- a126catladyI'm sorry for your losses:(
- kimberlinaallenI love you. Just so you know.
- margiejsandsSo sorry for your losses.
- bigelowerinI'm so sorry for your loss! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
- cdwoodwiSo sorry for your losses. You're the best man I know, and hope you find comfort Vin knowing how much people care about you.
- nancyglettyolsonSo sorry for your losses. My prayers for you and your wife.
- elevate__healthLove Your Page! ❤️
- snkfamleyI'm so sorry of your losses.I been watching your show My Cat From Hell ever since it started and still love it.My prayers go too and your family. 🙏
- macarena.bellidoJust ended reading thid. So sorry ! Hugs hugs los of them. 💗
- gwilliams1645I'm really sorry to hear about the tragic loses of both your mom and Berry, both my parents are gone now and my 21 year old Tortie name of KiKat passed away a while back, now I have MissKittyKat, a rambunctious long hair Siamese that fills my heart with joy. I watch your show when it is on and hope you have a new season shortly. You take care, many hugs, Greg
- orange.scooter.cat@thecatdaddy All i can do is give you a 😢 face. I feel your pain. I lost my mother what only feels like last year it always feels like it wasn't that long ago. My mother was my best friend too. Four legged and two legged friends all the same.
- njsmith1956AWW. So sad about your mother and Barry. We lost some relatives this past year too. So sad to lose relatives you've known all your lives. It's good to know that both your mom and Barry were such hardy individuals despite their painful ordeals. Just an observation. You really look like your mom. ;-) What a nice picture of the two of you together. Nice picture of you and Barry too. I know you miss your mom, and barry. They were such a big part of your life. And just watching your shows, it's obvious that you've had a good life. Thanks for saving all those cats that some people think are from hell. Us Intelligent people know that cats are not really from hell, but sent from heaven to keep us company and be our friends. God bless you and every person who saves animals! Keep up the good work! Hugs!
Log in to like or comment.