skylarkergilin 2006, i was a freshman in high school when i cut off my hair and felt a huge relief from years of dysphoria - but i still didn't know what that was or what "trans" was. i began to be called "he" or "sir" from behind - and my heart would leap with a moment of joy. as i'd turn around to acknowledge the stranger, i had a chest, tight shirt on, some femininity - and they would profusely apologize and correct themselves to calling me a girl. my heart would sink, but i didn't know why. .
in 2007, i learned the word transgender and after a few months of therapy and deliberating, i came out to my family and friends as a transgender man, just before my junior year of high school. in january of 2009, i began testosterone a few months before graduating and heading off to college. .
in college, i had top surgery, made incredible friends, and began to be asked to share my transgender story in communities that needed it. somehow, l graduated with honors, after believing i never even would, the day before I turned 22. .
if you had asked me about my future in 2006, i wouldn't have had much to say because i didn't expect to be around in 2016. .
so hey, my 15 year old self, that awkward androgynous hyper "girl" named Katherine. look. you did it. you got your chance. you picked sky. you chose life. and your friends and family - the important ones, at least - came around to love and support you. .
young trans kid struggling - you got this. choose love and choose your life. in one, two, five, ten years, we will look through old pictures and realize we made it through that struggle. we will weep for those who couldn't make it with us. and amongst all else, we will be forever stronger as we remember where we have come from and where we are going. .
you're not alone and i love you. that's what i needed to hear ten years ago and what i want to say today. ❤️💕 #transandhappy #transgender #ftm #queer #hope #2006vs2016 #progress
- bombbradleeLove you Sky! Thanks for continuing to inspire those around you with your beautiful words and positive attitude :) @skylarkergil
- trentonatiousSo happy to see you happy! You are a stunning human 👌❤👌
- auntkelsthebestI love your story! We can relate ! ❤️
- the_lost_boy_xI needed this as I fight to be myself
- thespyinthecabBeautifully written. I'm like, crying 😭
- babykittenpawsBeautiful text! :) & ik u have a girlfriend but you're hot af 😩💗
- pumpkin_and_bug@fuzzyllamaa Read this and thought of you immediately! It says what I want to tell you every single day. Never give up on your hopes and dreams. Never give up on amazing awesome you! @skylarkergil So glad you posted this! Wishing you a wonderful year Skylar!
- aaren570Omg, finally found your insta. Wasn't looking for it but it popped up. I wasn't aware you had one. But cool! :D
- mars_cloudsThis made me cry. Thanks for being an inspiration!
- gay_loser_666Crying right now.
- siiveIncredible and honest story! Proud of you!🍀
- oceanebuissart@_elliott_boy je serais une des personnes à être fière de ce que tu deviendras ❤
- _elliott_boy@oceanebuissart tu es tellement mignonne 😘❤
- anasumerino@alejandramassot increible vamos...
- alejandramassotY tanto, vaya historia @anasumerino
- jd_west01@lisaderrington my idol since 16 I've been watching this dude
- equalityslays@enchantedcobra read this
- enchantedcobra@equalityslays thank you, it gives me hope
- airamxxEverytime I feel sad I came to this post and I feel much better after reading this. You are an incredible person ,you are wonderful and deserves the best. Hope you have a beautiful day. And thanks for all you do. 💜 (sorry for my English, sending love from Argentina!!) 😄 🌹
Log in to like or comment.