brenebrownSeveral years ago, I spent Christmas week preparing to be part of an intervention for a good friend battling addiction. The following Christmas one of our parents was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer the day after Christmas. These experiences led me to write what has become “my annual holiday post.” I share it every year because I need the reminder that we are not alone in this mess. Maybe this speaks to you this year:
Every year as I think about my own life and reflect upon what my family and what many of the people around me are going through this Christmas, it’s clear that struggle doesn’t take off for the holidays.
The gremlins don’t go on vacation. Checks bounce, chemotherapy appointments are scheduled, interventions are planned, relationships keep unravelling, being alone feels even lonelier, parents negotiate who will have the kids on Christmas morning, and the “never enoughs” are in full swing.
As I prepare to spend the next few days with my family and friends I come back to this: I will find my holiday magic in the mess. I will practice love and gratitude with the special group of folks who keep showing up and loving me, not despite my vulnerabilities, but because of them.
I'm grateful for our community. For your generosity and the respectful way we move forward together and embrace the mess!
Peace be with you. Brené
- kogspeaksThank you for sharing yourself with the 🌎!!
- folansullivan@dtothe_d ❤💕🎉 #2017
- lmcook717brenebrown you are one of my favorites of 2016. A friend introduced me to your ted talk and book and since then I have read several. Thanks for the inspiration!
- mcaconteThank you!
- annie__prestonSo grateful for those that love my messy 💚. Thank you for sharing!
- continfarmthebookOmgeee Brene please pleseee read my book! ✨👋🏽👋🏽💥 and lemme know your thoughts! Find it on Amazon under CONTIN FARM.
- iamjennifermartinOmg!!! @vitalherbals you stay reading my mind! Said this to @_desireeb this morning! ✨💕🦄
- belou492I'm really so grateful that you are in the world- sharing your wisdom. Thank you.💛💛☀️☀️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- wcrsnohomishSo true. Blessings to you and your family. ❣️
- goddessmedicineLoving this so much!!! ❤️❤️❤️ thank you!
- recoverygurlfromthehoodMake a mess with your kids everyday. Have fun. Its magic
- 11maylee11Every time
- reneeairyaIt sure IS. And the mess is often the miracle. ✨
- elizarose_@lisamooretheboxer @jgarbers01 ❤️❤️❤️
Log in to like or comment.