jessecoulterJust watched @theminimalists documentary on Netflix. Thinking of taking on a big challenge in 2017. In college I only bought second hand for one year, and I'm thinking of not shopping for myself all together next year. Is it possible to do as a fashion loving blogger? Of course it is, but as someone who loves getting dressed in the morning would I hate it? Yes, it would be hard, but I would love to take that $ and put towards traveling. I'm also thinking of cutting out random home decor that I buy. Anyways (nacho libre voice)...anyone want to join me in a challenge, or have any ideas of what I could do? Also, I'm over buying Turner toys every dang time we go to the store...too spoiled and too many freaking toys. #rantover 📷@lauramorsmanphotography
- thelearnerobserverWell, I bought myself clothes once. This entire year. And it was about 6 pieces and they were all super inexpensive. That's one thing neither my husband or myself spend a ton of money on, especially since having kids! We're definitely aiming for a life with less, too! And now I want to watch this documentary!
- grannybrittIt's the best documentary, huh? I found it so inspiring. I didn't really want to make any challenges, because I think it's about having things you love + not excess. So, if I really love something, I will buy it with intention. But, I want to cut out all of the random crap I purchase just because it's there and easily accessible. A lip gloss here, some lotion there, random kitchen things I never use, etc. I already started purging many of these pieces already and felt so good. ❤
- emileekaraI know the @frugalwoods are doing a frugal challenge in January, which is more extreme than what you're looking for, but could be a good starting point!
- mrskendraroseI watched that last year and for the first time ever didn't buy any Christmas gifts. Just choose to spend time with fam. It is so liberating.
- jessecoulter@grannybritt good point!
- jessecoulter@thelearnerobserver wow! I live so close to many stores/malls so it's just too easy sometimes plus I love shopping for clothes. I would love for 2017 to be focused on experiences with my family. I think a lot has to do with losing my dad as well. All this crap isn't worth it when you're gone, just the time spent with family.
- jessecoulter@mrskendrarose that's amazing! My kids got one gift each this year, but then again they are super young. I'm sure it would be a challenge with older kids.
- jenniferperkinsEeek I want to see this. I keep thinking of a spending fast myself. Keep me posted we could start a support group.
- ohfoxcreativeWe don't buy a lot because we have such a small house (and budget!) and am grateful that it makes the small decor items or other knick knack buying a non issue.
- rachel.wester@jessecoulter Moving my father into a nursing home this year and having to go through all of his things, and get rid of most of it, has definitely made me think differently about the "stuff" I accumulate.
- thelearnerobserverYou're so right - it's not worth it. I think that what changed after the kids. I knew I wanted to be able to stay home with them and that was priority, so we took a long hard look at what we were actually spending on, thought about simplifying, and slowly we've made changes, but I still think we can do more with less. You know?!? Whatever you end up doing, I can't wait to follow and possibly join along!
- some_girl_shelbyI want to simplify what we have in our house the next year. No one listened to me on how many gifts to buy the baby this year, so there may be some donation to a children's shelter in our future. Very curious to watch and possibly join!
- unitedstatesofgoldOn #lewishowes podcast the Minimalist talked about purging for the month. I'm doing it this month>> whatever the date is, you get donate/toss/sell that many items. I.e. Today is the 24th, so goodbye to 24 items. Total items out of your life by the end of the month is 496!! It makes you more conscientious when buying too!
- jessieclaytondesigns❤️ this idea!!!!
- jessieclaytondesignsAnd I ❤️ ❤️ that movie.
- mamawiseheartVery cool collection of photos!
- cassiesalazar@rachtin love this!
- brownagencyVery Pretty
Log in to like or comment.