lenadunhamMy latest podcast episode was meant to tell a multifaceted story about reproductive choice in America, to explain the many reasons women do or don't choose to have children and what bodily autonomy really means. I'm so proud of the medley of voices in the episode. I truly hope a distasteful joke on my part won't diminish the amazing work of all the women who participated. My words were spoken from a sort of "delusional girl" persona I often inhabit, a girl who careens between wisdom and ignorance (that's what my TV show is too) and it didn't translate. That's my fault. I would never, ever intentionally trivialize the emotional and physical challenges of terminating a pregnancy. My only goal is to increase awareness and decrease stigma. I take reproductive choice in America more seriously than I take literally anything else, and therefore own full responsibility for any words I speak that don't convey this truth clearly. I know plenty of people will never like a thing that leaves my lips, mea culpas or no, but this apology is for the women who have placed their trust in me. You mean everything to me. My life is and always will be devoted to reproductive justice and freedom. You know how in some households you curse and have to put money in a jar? Well in mine, if you mess up your pro-choice messaging you have to give a sizable donation to abortion funds (https://abortionfunds.org/need-abortion) in New York, Texas and Ohio 💰I look forward to fighting with you all for the next four years and beyond.
- sad.p0tat0YOU BLOCK OF CHEESE
- acrobatic_tHow often do you act as the delusional girl character, out of curiosity?
- blckirishSincerely fuck you @lenadunham
- k72g@buddhab0wl 🙄🙄🙄🙄
- mercedesmaemuellerThank you ❤
- littlepandapitI know you'll probably never read this but I'd like to start with being that I've been a fan of yours for years, this comment really hurt me. Like a punch in the joke. Yes we all make mistakes and say stupid things but I often found myself relating to you as a real person and as a character on a show. That joke made me reconsider how can I support someone who can say such things. I've had a procedure. It's not something I ever would wish for. I wonder every. Single. Day. What my first baby would've been like. How they would've looked. What they could've been. But many factors played into why my baby couldn't live (health wise also) now 6 years later I have a healthy son. Lena, I've always supported the things you've said and done but now, this joke hit too close to home for me and being that I am such a huge fan it really truly HURT me. I hope in the future when talking about such serious topics, you think a little longer before you joke about them. Thanks for reading (if you did) Leslie.
- cookiecornellI've sat on this for weeks now and while @lenadunham might never read this, it at least allows me to be at peace with the latest issue I take with you, Lena, for thinking you are the voice of a generation of women. As a fellow single white woman, who grew up with the comforts of an (at times) upper middle class home, it is really discouraging to see you in the news time and again being outspoken about something you have never experienced for real (underline for real here). You think you're relating to people of all walks of life, especially women, but all I ever see you do is "create" things without actually "doing" things. Sure your message above is at least an attempt to right a wrong but you're perspective is often wrong from the very beginning. You live with a privilege to be out there. What do you actually do to make a difference? Can you quietly offer, for instance, your time at domestic violence shelters or visits with single mothers who thought they didn't have any other choice? To be clear, I don't have children but I should right now. It is one the things I want most in life some day, but I chose to do something very painful in the best interest of myself, my abusive and troubled partner, and ultimately the child. Please start acting in a new sense. Stop throwing money in the swear jar and go out and offer your time to a community that can't give you awards or applause for "speaking" up. And when you do it, don't spoil it by going on Instagram or writing about it in an AUTOBIOGRAPHY. That's just feeding into the same self indulgent bullshit that is making me and many others so disenchanted with you.
- forwardfeminismPeople should know you are only fighting in their corner.
- katybethbrownfieldDid your sister have a choice when you molested her
- sassy.slytherinyou truly are a disgrace to all feminists
- thefreshpresh@cookiecornell yassss!!
- missolieYou always have some dumb shit to say. You literally embody the destructive force that is white feminism. Disgusting.
- mlogandYou're a disgrace to our world
- mlogandYou disgust me in so many ways
- mlogand#prolife #savelives
- aeri_calmNot even the pope would be against you having an abortion. Please, please never procreate.
- justleslie79The only "joke" is you and your "career"! I can't believe that anyone would even find you attractive, inside or out. You are a disgrace and a shameful, pathetic, shitty person @lenadunham
Log in to like or comment.