planetarysocietyA purple rock! On Mars! Neato!
Opportunity roved upon this intriguing suite of “purple” rocks nestled together on the floor of Marathon Valley toward the end of July 2016, as she was on her way to shoot a new segment of the valley’s north wall. The MER scientists concluded the rocks, which contain more silicon and aluminum and look purplish in the false color Pancam versions, fell off from the valley’s northern wall.
NASA / JPL-Caltech / Cornell / ASU
#mars #rover #rocks #astrogeology #space #nasa
- ericingram88Looks like the sun is directly above it
- specialq@planetarysociety What about that green/teal one right next to it?!
- masterandcommander1Aliens - MUST be aliens
- kakha_kWow from another world
- luvcheriejewelryHow big are they?
- meerav17Very cool!
- 0433erosWas this secretly a Dr Who reference?
- jer_rizzo@scurlyk purple rocks yo!
- rebirth81The beauty about ASTRONOMY is that it allows you to dream.
- carahashleyYesssssssssss #FutureAstroGeologist
- baronbridlepathMeteorite or volcanic ejecta?
- scurlykPrettyyy @jer_rizzo
- em.nunez22I want to explore goddamnit take me!
- statuechris"It's not just a boulder...it's a rock!"
- drkyeActually, looks like petrified wood.
- skeptacalsSteal it
- carlgt1A sign from Prince...... :-)
- therealmichaelbusbyI'd like to know what the little turquoise-colored rock is
- theautoauthorityI love it! 🤘
Log in to like or comment.