expeditionportalThe Future of #Overlanding? #Tesla Model X charging on the #Hardangervidda Plateau - most cabins there are only accessible by foot/ski so owners leave their cars near the road. I would be inclined to guess that #norway has more Tesla per capita than Palo Alto...
- the_millwright@expeditionportal the gov there provides heavy tax discounts for electric cars. No road tax, no tolls and often free parking. So it ends up making it quite affordable to drive them . Add to that 95% of their power is from renewables so it's cheaper to run an electric car as gas/diesel is so expensive there
- loominIf you consider highway driving "overlanding". These things are basically useless on anything more than freshly groomed gravel roads. The AWD system is not designed for off road use and it's got 1500 lbs of lithium sitting 6" off the ground. The bottom of the battery is pretty thick but still.... don't hit any rocks.
- loominOh yeah and if you cause any body damage and want to have it fixed you can count on waiting 4+ months for parts. Their parts department is an embarrassment to the automotive industry.
- kristensencato@the_millwright @expeditionportal And half price on ferry's. And you can use the bus lane, so no traffic jams 😉 But there are som changes coming. Some of the benefits are up for debate 😊 So whats the plan here in Norway @expeditionportal ?
- jeffrowismShout out to the bay!
- stpickensIt's nice that they tucked it into bed. 😂
- duchess_kaaayI actually drive a model x a few times a week and they are quite nice. Not an overlanding vehicle for sure, but a great daily driver.Some of the people leaving comments are quite misinformed. Do your research before you spout off folks.
- jsonesignsMaybe in 20yrs from now we my just have power mats on the road. 😮
- davidwaynetitusNo style points 🤢
- russlarawayProbably not more than PA, but definitively more than US. Podcast about it on Freakonomics
- russloweIf they want to be they certainly will be.
- 1980.lukaszmThere are that kind if covers for Tesla ? I remember some of them were used 30 years ago
- thenordicbriefI live outside of Bergen in the west coast of Norway so I can confirm some of the above which is being said. My wife bought a 2015 electric VW Golf, yes there are currently massive tax deductions on buying new cars, no road tax, no toll road costs, no car ferry costs. Her savings on fuel and toll roads basically pays her car loan. We then have my 2015 Subaru Outback for longer family trips so the electric car for us works great as a second car. This has all been incentives to get people to switch to electronic, there is however now talk of it changing as so many people have switched. Electric cars still add to wear on road surfaces, small island car ferry companies suddenly start to struggle when half the ferry is filled with non paying customers etc. this cant go on for ever. Regards charging, owners can often charge for free in public car parks and regarding Tesla super chargers they have now built a network/route between Norway and Portugal where you can super charge your Tesla the whole route.
- outdoor00nutDoes the cold adversely effect the battery?
- knuthoan@kristiansaile In Norway there is not even VAT on electric cars. But still on electric bicycles though.
- dblnickelkid@c2coverland that's why the car companies don't want to build them. With all those systems missing, less parts, lass maintenance = less profits
- thenordicbrief@outdoor00nut yes very much so. In summer my wife's electric VW golf will manage maybe 3 days between charge on her commute, in winter with lower temp she will probably plug it in every night. Wet roads etc are all noticeable effects on the range. VW claims this 2015 model to have a range 'up to' 190km but the reality to achieve this is perfect conditions, no radio, no a/c running etc. reality is more like 140km range. I should add however the benefit of it being plugged in every night in winter is that via an app on your phone you can turn on the heating to defrost all the windows and heat up the inside before heading out. Without this pre heating you would again get slightly worse range.
Log in to like or comment.