alisakburkeEven though my job is to make art, I spent a lot of time NOT making art! Between editing, email, designing, planning and writing- I spend a lot of time on the business side of things. In my dream world I would love to have 2 hours a day for sketching or creating in my art journal but these days I am juggling too many things. Once in a while I will clear out my schedule for a sketching project or will stay up late while everyone is sleeping but in my daily life I've had to learn how to be ok creating in small chunks of time. Ten minutes here while I wait for dinner to cook, 15 minutes drawing while Lucy draws, 20 minutes while watching t.v., another 10 minutes before I go to bed all adds up over the course of a day or a week. I think that smaller chunks of time are manageable and less intimidating when it comes to a sketching routine.
Here are a few tips:
Try to look for small chunks of time in your schedule- like 15-20 minutes.
Ask yourself where in your schedule can you fit in 20 minutes to draw. Try drawing during those 20 minutes everyday for a week and see how it feels!
Double up on you time- try to identify different things in your schedule (like waiting for dinner to cook, waiting for a doctors appointment, drinking coffee, watching t.v.) that can be used for sketching. #tipsfromalisa
- shinyhappyartI totally agree - and making sure you have a sketchbook and pen/watercolours in your bag! That's a big one!
- lesliecallawayThanks for the great ideas!
- jillmarietootellThank you for the tip!😊
- mia_bloomGreat advice! Thank you!
- suz_stricklandSo needed to hear this!!!
- kruthikarshankarI feel motivated now. I keep telling myself - you don't hv time for art with a 6 month old at home and a full time job. This gives me the push to create. Thanks Alisa!! Ur my biggest inspiration 🙂
- anindtputrThanks for the tips! My hand is getting sore everytime I started drawing again after a long time. I feel like I need to do this as my new year's resolution. 😘🌸
- onelaneroadGreats tips! This year I'm really trying to grow my illustration portfolio, which is such a monster thing to squeeze in!
- lonestone1So pretty! 😉
- lisastockel@alisakburke thank you for real ways to do the work...it is appreciated!🙏
- christiedrahnakLove everything you share! Thank you!
- kaotickrafterThank you for some perspective! I carry a small sketchbook with me everywhere so I can create whenever the opportunity arises.
- a2arndtCarve out a small space where you can leave your supplies out so that you don't have to put them away. Then go back there as often as possible through out the day in those 15 minute segments.
- thefirstnoelsThanks for sharing! I really need these tips at the moment! Love your work.
- shiraki_nThank you for sharing this!
- h_arttI wish I could have enough time to consecrate on my art
- sweetpastrypamI am also making it a point to work in my art journal every day, even if it's only for 10 to 15 minutes. It is a great release for me and very therapeutic.
- pauikuenelpaisdelasmaravillasThank you!!! !
Log in to like or comment.