lisajobakerFirst night of Advent readings. Yea yea apparently Advent started in November this year. But my brain couldn't quite deal with that. It's enough that I try to wrangle my family starting December 1. So we just go with what we know. We're doing a sort of combo of @annvoskamp's The Greatest Gift, @shereadstruth Kid's Advent Table Cards, and the amazing illustrated videos by The Bible Project online. It's never perfect, someone always rolls their eyes or cares more about getting a snack right in the middle or going bathroom. But we try to show up for the month and talk about the Jesus story and answer the fascinating questions kids come up with. Also, I think my kids are mostly in it for the candles -- because FIRE! 😆🔥🎄
- christiepurifoyI mean, matches. 😬
- heartworkteesHaha! My son loves the candles too! We started Sunday and now we are ahead because he didn't want to stop. We shall see how long that lasts! What videos do you watch with The Bible project?
- jameejbI want this ring of candles!!
- rj_writesWe're doing a mash up too! And loving it 😊
- jennmpatrickMine fight over lighting the candles-
- raechelmyersYou're doing great!!! 💛
- careyrivers@lisajobaker That is awesome and I LOVE you always keep it real!! Where did you get that fantastic candelabra/wreath?
- carolynonmymindThis makes me feel so much better! It's not just my kids then! 😉😂
- lisajobaker@jameejb check out @joywares to get your own! :)
- annvoskampBecause Fire 😂💛. I love you and all of yours so much it's kinda crazy.
- deviduerrmeierIt's the candles for ours too. And the fighting over who blows it out at the end.
- em_mc_morton@lisajobaker yes. Fire. My 6 and 4 year old are mesmerized by it. 😳😳😳🔥🔥🔥
- megantroxellYou should check out the @brains_on podcast most recent episode fires vs lasers. My boys (4 and 6) have listened to it multiple times already. That's how we roll.
- jameejb@annvoskamp - we pulled out my signed copy of your book- saw you in Houston last year 😍🎄😍
- jameejbThank you, @lisajobaker ! I looked a few years back and they were sold out on Ann's blog!
- cherideejohnsonBut now that my kids are all grown, I can assure you, they are hearing and it's making a difference.
- eeck1026@lisajobaker Can you share which Bible Project videos you are using? We've used the OTestament ones but I can't seem to find ones specific to advent.
- mrstrader124This was the first year we've tried family advent (using Ann voskamp book). Candy bribery helped the wiggly 6 and 4 year old boys. The baby lunged at the candles. But we did it!
- lisajobaker@eeck1026 yeah, unfortunately none specific to Advent. We are using the books of the New Testament starting with Luke.
- overwhelmed_momLove how you're making your own traditions! ❤️
Log in to like or comment.