glutenfreegirlAre you making gluten-free gravy for the first time tomorrow? Worried about how to make it well? No need. It's easy.
1. You need equal parts fat and flour. We use butter and our gluten-free flour. You could use bacon grease, too. Or lard. Or shortening.
2. Heat up the fat in a large pot. Add the flour. Whisk and whisk until they are bubbling together.
3. Do not expect to make a gluten roux! When gluten in traditional flour hits the water in the butter, they form bonds that tighten up the mix and make a ball of roux. Without gluten, there is no ball of dough. Instead, cook the mix for about 10 minutes, until it has thickened. Still liquidy. Just cook the flour.
3. While you are doing this, bring 2 quarts of stock to a boil and reduce it to a simmer.
4. Here's the thing that is different: slowly, whisk the gf roux into the hot stock. It will start to thicken.
5. Turn the heat down and let the thickened liquid simmer until it thickens down to a gravy, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and pour it all over the potatoes. Gravy!
questions? Ask away!
And remember: the meal does not have to be perfect. I wish you enough.
- dlurie1I find I can just add butter with flour mixed in to pan drippings, then add broth and it's perfect. Even with gf flour.
- dlurie1Also mashers and gravy are my favorite part!
- lisalaudato99your gravy is always a hit at my house? 👌🏻
- glutenfreegirl@lisalaudato99 so glad!
- glutenfreegirl@dlurie1 mine too
- ridleyswThank you!!
- susansalzmanGreat shot!!!
- dearprudence76What about substituting corn starch for the GF flour? Pros or cons?
- bryiarrosethat last bit though... enough is always the most perfect thing.
- glutenfreegirl@bryiarrose exactly.
- glutenfreegirl@dearprudence76 it works fine. But you don't cook it into a roux. Instead, use equal parts cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Drop that, bit by bit, into the hot stock and stir. It thickens even more quickly.
- goubledusI was just researching this! Thank you! Will bring to our neighborhood potluck tomorrow.
- slee555This might be helpful to you @jennemerson
- samwedelichThe send off reminder to not seek perfection, but contentment 👌💯
- peles_aboutGreat tip!
- de_ma_cuisine@chilliancox @pbnj84 @angieandthepheebs thought of you guys - in case you wondered how you'd enjoy thanksgiving gravy. ❤️
- jennalynnatoddI made this today with the last of your AP flour mix. I have been saving it for something special. It was delicious gravy. Thanks for the recipe and tips on this PNW Thanksgiving day. ❤️
- glutenfreebeautyThis is amazing! I love how you broke it down. Happy holiday!
- km1013@glutenfreegirl how much butter/flour do you use with the 2 quarts broth? I know you said equal parts but wondering how much of each. :)
- _jamiegandy_This is just so gorgeous. Ive looked at it like 6x lol
Log in to like or comment.