Hi All, this is @dannyghitis. Given the rise in hate crime and culture of denial since Donald Trump was elected, I'm compelled to share my work from Oswiecim (Auschwitz), Poland that I shot in 2010. I spent several months peeling back layers of memory while documenting modern life in the town where nearly 1.5 million people were murdered.
As the grandson of a Holocaust survivor, I take threats to deport and/or register "Others" very seriously. It begins with words and progresses so slowly it's almost hard to notice the change, but educating ourselves and speaking out can help prevent the persecution of innocents.
Pictured, a controlled burn of a crop field just beyond the infamous Death Gate at Auschwitz-Birkenau.
- presidentjurneywuLove this!♥️
- phinslftPowerful stuff.
- kimberlysoenenThe slow creep you articulated is so true. Family of survivors point this out repeatedly. Unrelenting resistance is the call. Thank you for the work.
- bigrobtheactorBrother, great work. I wouldn't even fly over Poland but I admire your courage, character and talent. That said, I think you may be over-reacting here with regards making America great again. The pendulum deang way too fat to the left (Hussein? Really?) and now it has swung back towards the right, and I for one, ss a stand up Jew and proud American couldn't be happier.
- bigrobtheactorExcuse the typos please. 😉
- dannyghitis@bigrobtheactor I'm not calling Trump a Nazi. I'm saying there are factual reasons to be concerned and it's important to see things for what they are and speak plainly. Hitler wasn't committing genocide until more than a decade after his ascent to power. He, like Trump, manipulated the masses slowly, sowing fear and mistrust of Others. I'd rather be accused of paranoia than of apathy while white supremacists grow in strength and entire religions/ethnicities are openly threatened by the government.
- bigrobtheactorThank you ma' brutha'. I read you. Please, if you haven't already, check in to Godwin's Law. It may add value to your appraisal. Maybe not. As for.me?Any candidate who calls Israel "our great ally" is okay in my book and gets the benefit of every doubt.
- dannyghitis@bigrobtheactor Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies doesn't apply when we're directly and thoughtfully addressing Auschwitz and the nature of hatred.
- lazaina_birmaherDanny tus fotografias son increibles, llenas de vida y de naturalidad, muestran lo que ve tu lente tal y como es. Me fascina.
- mr_zackharrisArt in its simplest form is still in the eye of the beholder. Your message for vigilance over ignorance rings more true than arguing the semantics of your analogy. Look forward to more great work on something you're so passionately connected to 👍
- sdgardThat's tight!
- dannyghitisPlease read this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-nazi-propaganda-coordinate_us_58583b6fe4b08debb78a7d5c
- amberriccintoWow! So compelling!
Log in to like or comment.