amandamariefittFriendly reminder! 🤗 Don’t forget your flu shot. The flu shot is the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones. 👫 Increasing the amount of healthy people who get vaccinated means more high risk people will be protected from the flu this season. This includes people who cannot be vaccinated due to medical or allergy reasons. The 2016-2017 flu shot protects against 3-4 virus strains. It’s recommended to get vaccinated by the end of October. (Oops! Get that shot asap. 🙃) Flu shots are recommended for everyone 6 months of age or older. Some common questions/myths about the flu shot. •
1. You cannot get the flu from the shot. The shot contains inactivated virus, not live. A common side effect is soreness at the injection site, which is not harmful. Many people experience an “immune response” which they mistake for the flu. I am one of those people that gets a very quick immune response. Low grade fever, aches, etc. This is the body responding to the vaccine and creating antibodies against the real thing. An immune response is proof that your immune system is doing its job! The “real” symptoms of the flu are much worse (and last much longer) than an immune response. •
2. Healthy people need the flu shot just as much, if not more, than high risk people. While many of us might be able to fight off the flu, there are always “worst case scenarios.” Flu-related complications are very real. Don’t be that worst case scenario. Furthermore, as addressed above, healthy people getting the flu shot protect the higher risk population. •
3. The flu shot has been administered for over 50 years and is one of the safest medical interventions to date. There is extensive research supporting the safety of flu vaccines. If you are concerned about preservatives in the vaccination, there are preservative-free options. Simply ask your health care provider! No excuses not to protect yourself and your community. •
Do your part. Protect yourself and your loved ones. 💜💪🏽 #publichealth
- amandamariefitt@brunettebunsandbarbells That would be macro heaven! 😍😂 It's easy to confuse an immune response with sickness. Immune responses are GOOD! It means you have a kick ass immune system that is doing its job. Nothing a little ibuprofen and a nap can't fix. The actual flu on the other hand... that's a doozy.
- brunettebunsandbarbells@amandamariefitt YES! Exactly!! I try to explain it as best I can!! 🙆🏻sometimes it's a win and sometimes it's a fail 😂but knowledge is power! Let's keep spreading it 🙌🏼💕
- amandamariefitt@taramariefitness I was just telling Eric that I miss working in a clinic and just getting poked at work and then I could be on my way. lol. Last year, Eric got poked in our kitchen because this chick doesn't mess around! 😂 Flu shots for everyone!
- amandamariefitt@brunettebunsandbarbells I have this amazing meme I wish I could send you. It says 'Getting influenza from a flu shot is as likely as getting ground chicken to lay an egg.' 🤗🐓🍳
- brunettebunsandbarbells@amandamariefitt bahahah omg I need to find it!!! 🍖+🍗= 🍳
- taramariefitnessHaha that's great! I was thankful for the convenience. My boss and I went together. I work at a bank and thought it was pretty cool for them to set that up for us. 😊
- taramariefitnessI didn't get them in the past but started after I got one nasty flu that really knocked me out... Not just for me, but to avoid spreading germs to those around me! 😜
- tree810I'm a nurse and it drives me crazy when people refuse the shot because "it gives them the flu" really..
- theradianthumanAnother important truth: Breastfed babies need the shot too! They won't just get that immunity from mom! Lyra got hers last week, she was a champ💕💖💕 And yes I want to see that meme too😂😂
- ironmoeKiddo got his today. Don't forget your little ones!!! (Parents got them a couple weeks ago). A couple years ago we watched it kill healthy patients in 20s and 30s. An anomaly. People forget that it's no joke.
- velosarahraptorThank you for sharing such great information and for getting your shot #forjudeforeveryone
- joannebraninGot mine yesterday 💪🏼my poor arm is feeling it today 😭 also got my tetanus shot in the opposite arm so I have a feeling I will be STRUGGLING with my workout later
- amandamariefitt@Joannebranin Double Whammy!! Ouch.
- amandamariefitt@ironmoe Good reminder about the kiddos! It's easy to forget that the flu can knock healthy people out as well.
- essentialoilsguidePretty cooool!
- ironmoeThat year was scary as 💩. Get the shot! Ps. The kid lived through it 😜
- chelupa91@jfilip21 read!
- zkseattleGood reminder!! I emailed my office about a free flu shot clinic near our building and especially asked parents to do it- no one wants more germs spreading around!
Log in to like or comment.