galadarlingOn Saturday I was walking around Manhattan when I looked to the end of the street and saw and heard a whole lot of commotion. I realised it was an anti-Trump protest, so I ran to the intersection to watch, grabbed my camera and started clicking. As I squinted into the sun, tears started to well up in my eyes. I saw men carrying signs that said "THAT'S NOT LOCKER ROOM TALK" with their 8 year old sons chanting, "HER BODY, HER CHOICE!" There were women holding hands, babes in wheelchairs, and a dude with great hair waving a sign that said, "WE REVOLT BECAUSE HE'S REVOLTING." As I stood there, a woman on the sidewalk behind me asked her friend, "Like, what is the point of this? Why bother?" Just then, my friend @lydiahudgens yelled my name from the middle of the protest, and I ran in and joined the procession. We marched for miles, in a giant group, chanting, talking, and feeling a groundswell of hope.
That woman on the pavement might have been wondering what the point of our protest was, but unless you join in, you'll never really get it. You won't understand how encouraging it feels to be with other people who feel the same way you do, whose hearts ache with disappointment, but who are JUST as committed to doing what they have to do to effect a change. Walking with thousands of other people, who could have been in bed reading a magazine and sipping a latte, but instead chose to come out and use their voices and support others, was an incredible feeling.
Even though the outcome of the election is not what I was hoping for, and even though I know the system is so, so broken, spending time with an enormous group of kind, optimistic, loving but FIERCE New Yorkers really restored my faith in people. It felt better than anything else I've done this week.
If there are protests in your town and you're usually not a joiner, I want to encourage you to participate. The right to peaceful protest is an important one to exercise. And I can't wait to march on Washington D.C. in January. Wanna join me?
- missredmisakiglad you did join in the end 🙌🏻💕💕 me and my friend saw them in LA and walked with them fir a bit. Its good to see people coming out and showing their feelings
- getitmami@galadarling I'll be there babe! ✊🏼💜
- agirlastyleHell yes! And I love that you saw @lydiahudgens in the crowd and joined in; makes me like you both even more
- christenmarier@happythankyoumorepleezus @nicolewarchol yes yes yes!!! @galadarling is going to be there, too!!!
- caitlinhauerI'll definitely be in the streets of DC, especially in January!
- happythankyoumorepleezus@christenmarier omg I saw this
- sandravnilssonNow is the time more than ever before to raise our collective vibrations into 4D. Love, forgiveness & to be of service to others 💞✨👽
- irvinakanarekBeautiful post Gala! I felt the same way in Oakland today. Hope to see you in D.C. Big fan 😘
- pinka_dotSo glad to hear about this!
- pinka_dot@polavan YAY!
- thestyleopalYes to DC!!!
- christenmarier@melimel_29 check it and her!
Log in to like or comment.