shaunmittwollenThe Aurora Australis from the summit of Hartz Mountain near the southern tip of Tasmania. Perhaps a personal favourite of mine, I had been attempting to view the aurora with limited success for over a year. My main goal was to capture the spectacle from the summit of a dramatic SW Peak. About 2 weeks ago a moderately strong aurora was predicted in combination with clear weather and no moon. We decided to go for it. After a few hours drive from Hobart we arrived at the trailhead right on sunset. Climbing through the evening we arrived on the summit at 8pm where we made camp on the rocky crags. Unfortunately the weather had other plans and by 9pm light rain and mist engulfed the peak. Resigned there would be no aurora viewing, we set about cooking dinner. While we were eating the clouds gradually lifted revealing bright stars and a faint green glow on the horizon. We quickly scrambled back to the summit and there it was. Stretching above the smaller conical peak of Mt Snowy, the Aurora Australis. I stayed up till 3am watching and photographing the scene as the aurora ebbed and flowed through the night. This is when it was at its strongest; about midnight. A blend of 3 exposures, one for the sky, one for the ground and a third to reduce the brightness of the lights of the fishing boat in the channel #discovertasmania
- tosup_That is absolutely amazing mate
- sammarshall_photographyWow, amazing 👌👌
- guilhem22Wooooow very wonderful 😍
- helly__This is amazing!
- themiddleagewandererStunning image
- sladkaajaWow! Amazing shot. Good job
- ellyblaWhat a dream capture 😍👌📷
- patrick.semaan@gracechal help me@
- andychizaNow we are talking
- wildislandtasmaniaIncredible @shaunmittwollen
- vazzablaxThat it just incredible! Amazing shot! 💕
- ray.chauGreat shot mate !
- chjunghansphoto@shaunmittwollen Great effort Shaun and beautiful shot! As we are always looking for pictures of the Aurora Australis @worldaurora I wanted to kindly ask whether you would tag #worldaurora for a chance to get featured?!
Log in to like or comment.