bbcnews5 OCT: Photographer Heather Buckley has been documenting the lives of Irish Travellers around Limerick for the past two years.
Buckley says the Irish Travellers are isolated from society, both physically and culturally, and have in them a feeling of being forgotten. "The elders remember freedom as children of travelling workers," she writes. "Their grandchildren live behind tall concrete walls, screened from the world, on ill designed sites." Buckley's aim is to challenge pre-conceived ideas of the Irish Travellers and to give them a voice through her work. The work is on show at Made Brighton, part of the Brighton Photo Fringe, until 4 November. READ MORE: bbc.in/Buckley
#BBCSnapshot #photography #BrightonPhotoFringe @photofringe @buckleyheather
- saimassalonPerhaps they should contribute to society by paying taxes then other law abiding, tax paying citizens would want to give them the time of day. They have no issue using public services like health care yet contribute nothing. They choose to live outside of society so they have no grounds to complain.
- mr_felix_tasteIs this about gypsys?
- gingerdave78Gina g has let herself go
- hutchinson9086At least someone remembers and cares about the Irish
- daugustavoHmmm. Life has all kinds of choices. These people are not victims of society...
- doostyleThere's a bunch of these women in nj
- imrvdiaz_2ngulI live in Sydney and travelled in Limerick in July. Lovely place with lovely people. Had a great time.
- meganannanNot the word we use. Gypsy is our word.
- france_boundJust came from there and loved it there. 👍 to Limerick.
- rekaocThe intention is lovely. However, how is this photo for example challenging pre conceived ideas? It rather enforces it. Taking a photo of a young traveller reading a book, coding on a PC, doing sport, painting or doing some artwork, etc. would certainly challenge pre conceived ideas.
- hannah_bwananaDespite the negative comments, I believe this is a brilliant idea. Its no secret that travellers are discriminated against, and its almost taboo to acknowledge it. People will claim they arent racist but they would never give the time of day to a traveller as everyone has a preconceived notion about them and continue with their ignorance. Travellers have a rich history in Ireland and they should be celebrated, not shunned. You cant blame the whole travelling community for the bad things a few travellers did, its like blaming all christians for what hitler did.
Log in to like or comment.