expedition_196I'll admit I've made some petty mistakes on this Expedition, but none have amounted to the mistake I just made coming to Cuba where I forgot to take out cash in the US before coming. For those of you who don't know, Cuba doesn't accept US debit/credit cards or bank transfers, PayPal or anything of the sort, which, I knew of but completely forgot to honor. I arrived having reserved my hotel (but not paid in advance) and went on to take a taxi only to find that I just had enough cash to pay half the fare once we arrived. The hotel wasn't able to assist with the issue, and I had no other choice but to spend the rest of the night walking probably 12 hours back to the airport at midnight to spend the rest of my time in Cuba. I felt very defeated and couldn't believe this mistake I had made when I knew I had to bring cash before I came.
The taxi driver who took me to the hotel told me that he has daughters and didn't want to leave me stranded, so he decided to not require any further compensation and took me back to the airport to sleep there. If that wasn't kind enough, he asked his friends at the airport restaurant if they could feed me, and they offered me rice, beans and pork as well as fresh papaya juice, water and rum, which of course I couldn't drink/eat any of because I was so nauseated and upset by my mistake. The taxi driver then offered to take me to his home where I could spend the night. His wife gave me her bed while she slept on the living room floor.
This is the only time on this Expedition where I had no other choice but to accept the offerings of a stranger in order to avoid what could have ended in a devastating night, walking 12 hours on a deserted road back to the airport. I felt horrible accepting his help, but knew that he eagerly wanted to help me. If you see this, muchisimas gracias, Maliene and Dagoberto. No sé lo que habría hecho sin su inmensa hospitalidad. #payitforward #expedition196
- b_a_r_b_i_e@orel_algazi read what happened to her! No c.c in Cuba! 😱
- lia.marie18I'm so intrigued reading all of your stories about your journeys and experiences, it captivates me. I've always wanted to travel the world, it is my dream/goal. I saw a video on Facebook about your Expedition, ever since then I've been trying to research how you've accomplished all of this. Even reading this, I know this must have been a really tough experience to go through, and very scary; but it is something I would sell everything I own just to be there. Your travels inspire me, and makes me feel assured that anything is possible, even if that sounds cheesy. Thank you for showing me that you can never be too ambitious. I hope that I can follow in your footsteps one day and travel to every country 🙂
- schmidtnwesson3@kellz26 @nurseally26 @alqui_
- alqui_@schmidtnwesson3 @kellz26 @nurseally26 😱😧😧😵
- sal_luminati@brendanm_ this is a very you account you're welcome
- ryan_mcd_27Good to know that's crazy 😂
- robotravellerBeautiful story. ❤️️ There is no shame in accepting help from others. You made them feel wonderful for being able to help, I am sure. What a wonderful adventure you're on! Safe travels.
- brendanm_@sal_luminati hahaha thanks
- jubs04We can find kindness wherever we go. I had a problem like that in Japan. My friend and I couldn't check-in at the hostel, because it was closed and we didn't have enought money for a hotel, it was late at night, snowing.. A man who was at the bus stop helped us . He offered his house for us, his parents received us very well, they offered food and he drove us back to the train station on the next morning. He never asked for anyhing, just warned to be more carefully next time. Really saved us!
- hottiemom24Scary. I want to travel the world starting in a few years, but Cuba was possibly going to be one I skipped. Now you've reinforced why I will for sure.
- amynasir_@ammaraah caption 👌🏼
- firstname.lastname@example.org yas
- iamjanmikeli love this post! so much humanity!
- ___muneka_Omg!! 😮❤❤❤
- patricakiI'm so happy u recieved help from that wonderful man and family. Cubans don't have much but what they have they share it without expecting anything in return. As a fellow Cuban I can say I'm proud of my people. Good luck with your journey @expedition_196
Log in to like or comment.