crabandbeeDay 18 #sewphotohop confession: I've considered quitting knits altogether (sewing, not wearing!). Yes, I had a disastrous knits project recently, but more importantly I don't enjoy sewing knits nearly as much as wovens. I've got some knits in my stash now and will definitely sew then up, but may evaluate how I feel after that.
- crabandbee@karenkaedemakes I hear that. I'd need to find some good rtw options, because I certainly enjoy wearing knits!
- gjeometryI'll look it up, thanks!
- rvanyolaiHell yes, thanks, finally someone is honest 😅😊 I like wearing knits, sewing - not so much - and beyond that I appreciate the well tailored woven garments so much!!
- ninushkoah yes, I find knits difficult too! I got myself a cheap serger some time ago that really changed my view on knits... I still prefer sewing wovens but at least the finished garments look decent now!
- zakaliaI'm the opposite! I love sewing knits.
- keri_sewsI love sewing knits but it took me 30 years of sewing to try them. I also love it a LOT more since I bought a coverstitch machine. But I will definitely agree that I find hunting down good quality knits super frustrating. With wovens, a cotton lawn is more or less a cotton lawn but cotton jersey can be either wonderful or a complete nightmare.
- karin_dreamhandmadeThis is serious! I could hand my woven pieces down to my grandkids someday, but the knits are generally very shameful. The finishing isn't in the same category.
- maker.styleYour makes are always SO good :)
- fabrictragicOh no! I'm a very firm believer that success with knits starts with quality fabric.... and most of my failures have been knits I've purchased online.... I've sewn almost exclusively with knits over winter!
- winding_bobbinI have minimal success... Wovens fo life 😊
- pincushiontreatsI'm so so crap at sewing knits, which of course, takes away any fun I might have sewing. I thought having a serger would up my game. Nope. Now I just ruin knits in the blink of an eye!
- crabandbee@rvanyolai haha glad to spread the honesty 😉
- crabandbee@ninushko I hear that! I bought a used server from my friend's mom and it did make a difference. Before that I was over locking on my machine and it took 4x as long.
- crabandbee@zakalia I admire that! It's a fantastic skill to have.
- crabandbee@keri_sews I'm only on my 7th year is sewing so maybe there's hope for me yet! 🤔 Coverstitch machines sound magical. Wonder why it's so hard to find good knit fabric?
- crabandbee@karin_dreamhandmade it might be my lack of skill but I find it difficult to control knit fabric as well as wovens. I love the thought of your heirloom woven garments!
- crabandbee@thewildstitch thank you, what a nice compliment!
- crabandbee@fabrictragic I envy you and your cardigans so much! Your knit projects are amazing. I do have a super stable thick cotton jersey stripe from Japan that I'm more excited to work with and I picked it out in person.
- crabandbee@winding_bobbin your gowns, coats and jeans far outweigh unsuccessful knit projects 😘
- crabandbee@pincushiontreats 😂😂😂 I'm laughing and commiserating at the same time
Log in to like or comment.