rachaelriceThis is my announcement I will no longer be making dreamcatchers.
It is no longer congruent with my ethics as an artist to profit from this type of work. Really, it never has been. I’ve never felt 100% comfortable appropriating and selling a white girl version of the indigenous craft even though I took measures to give back, to educate, to honor the people I learned from.
I don’t pretend to think the impact of my work is so great I’m doing some grand service here, and deserve neither praise nor applause. I just want to acknowledge that I’m overdue for a bigger calling-out and so I’ll just do it myself, say I’m sorry that people like me creating and selling this kind of work is likely painful for indigenous folks to have to witness, and move on to making other stuff that is just as beautiful.
I’d like to offer this final piece measuring 11"x45" as a giveaway to support the indigenous people gathering to protect the water and stop the Dakota Access Pipeline at #StandingRock #SacredStoneCamp. To enter, send a donation of any amount via their #Fundrazr page at bit.ly/nodaplfunds and comment here with “DONE."
I’ll choose a winner at random by midnight PST Friday Sept. 30th. A receipt of your donation will be requested.
Please check out my story for more photos.
Thanks to all of you who have supported my art throughout the years. I hope you continue to do so.
xo | rachael
- alexbuffumDo you have any recommendations for where to get dream catchers made by indigenous people? I've been wanting to get one of yours but haven't been able to afford it.
- rachaelrice@hollytruhlar thank you Holly!!
- olivianell89Done! As always, love your insight. I will always be a loyal lover of your creations Rachael!!!
- mirandawildmanNice decision! I love that you are an artist who thinks thing through like this. I look forward to seeing what you make next!
- helalenasartAbsolutely beautiful 😍
- clairoaksGo girl!
- rachaelrice@clairoaks @helalena @mirandawildman @wellandwisewoman @shaktivism @misscloverbrown @halikarla @lynzeelynx AHHHH THANK YOUUUUU means a lot to get your comments + props!! So much gratitude that y'all would even take the time...😻
- rachaelrice@shaktivism DONE-ER-OO 😂😂
- rachaelrice@alexbuffum you know I have looked around and have not seen indigenous artists making pieces in my hippie girl style but I do know dreamcatcher.com is a source for pieces made by indigenous artists.
- rachaelrice@olivianell89 wow thank you!!
- capturedwithlovephotosI just saw your comment on Emily McDowell's post about #BlackLivesMatter and I came to see who was this awesome girl, and now I see this post about your dream catchers. You are the definition of growing, learning, awaking! You have a new fan right here 💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗
- clairoaks@rachaelrice ... I so appreciate your consciousness around this. My eyes are opening wider and wider (finally) and I'm grateful for artists and others who are thinking thru and sharing these kinds of realizations. Change is happening, and awareness is growing... thank you💕
- rachaelriceThank you EVERYONE who entered! Please dm me your mailing address for a little gift of gratitude. @jennifer_ciplet (via FB) is the winner of the drawing!!
- jennifer_cipletOmg omg omg, wait, WHAT?!? This is amazing! THANK YOU, @rachaelrice. I'm so happy and honored! 💖💖💖
- rachaelrice@clairoaks thanks for the support mama!!
Log in to like or comment.