aiwwAi Weiwei's statement on being removed from the MoCA Yinchuan Biennale:
I have just learnt that my artwork has been excluded due to my "political sensitivity". Censorships in communist regions have been present since the existence of the power. Yet it still comes as a surprise to me for an "international art biennale", with over a hundred international artists and a foreign curator participating, to remove a single artist for the reason of defending human rights and freedom of speech. This shows what we face is a world which is divided and segregated by ideology, and art is used merely as a decoration for political agendas in certain societies.
China is trying to develop into a modern society without freedom of speech, but without political arguments involving higher aesthetic morals and philosophies, art is only served as a puppet of fake cultural efforts.
Therefore I am happy not to be a part of that effort as a political decoration. I believe the real effort we should make, is in defending freedom of speech for our humanism. Only by doing so, art is worth making.
- gypsy_rover_daydreamYou are above it all. Keep fighting the good fight. You inspire me when I feel defeated by government control and manipulation.
- inlife4thejoyrideBy leaving out your voice Ai Weiwei they are inadvertently highlighting rather than quashing the very reason for your work. The space will resonate with presence rather than absence of you!!
- karriecoburnAs always, there is no art without freedom, no freedom without art. Thank you again for your important work. Sending love.
- mere_maleThe act of removing you @aiww from the Biennale is in itself a political statement that draws attention to the ongoing fight for human rights. Sad.
- everybodylookslikesomebodyelseSo sorry.
- hegyizsRespect for You. Come to Budapest and visit our new deal in art: the postmodern conservatism, where Orwell's theory 1984 is not an uthopy but the manual instruction of build brave new world. Censors built in our mind.
- chiminh_人 在 做 天 在 看 。
- sphoraris_artYes be happy Mr. WeiWei they aren't evolved enough for you
- irminmunichyou are cool...
- mickele1226Cruel and sad.
- decisive_henriHow about you do something non-political, like nine giant dashes ala Christo in the South Asian Sea?
- jaylagemannWhich side of the line we you supposed to be on?
- lucyheimerle是的!! 人在做，天在看! 王八蛋，不要臉，遲早要完蛋!!!
- samoueflaneur@weetawoo read caption
Log in to like or comment.