lenadunhamI owe Odell Beckham Jr an apology. Despite my moments of bravado, I struggle at industry events (and in life) with the sense that I don't rep a certain standard of beauty and so when I show up to the Met Ball surrounded by models and swan-like actresses it's hard not to feel like a sack of flaming garbage. This felt especially intense with a handsome athlete as my dinner companion and a bunch of women I was sure he'd rather be seated with. But I went ahead and projected these insecurities and made totally narcissistic assumptions about what he was thinking, then presented those assumptions as facts. I feel terrible about it. Because after listening to lots of valid criticism, I see how unfair it is to ascribe misogynistic thoughts to someone I don't know AT ALL. Like, we have never met, I have no idea the kind of day he's having or what his truth is. But most importantly, I would never intentionally contribute to a long and often violent history of the over-sexualization of black male bodies- as well as false accusations by white women towards black men. I'm so sorry, particularly to OBJ, who has every right to be on his cell phone. The fact is I don't know about his state of mind (I don't know a lot of things) and I shouldn't have acted like I did. Much love and thanks, Lena
- deftonesmienSo what if you "don't rep certain beauty standards"? Are you saying you the only ugly person on planet Earth? Reality check! You are not! There are plenty of ugly people who are happy and love themselves and love life. Maybe you should try that some time. Instead of always moping around feeling sorry for yourself.
- nelliehct02@lenadunham thats a well thought out apology. You are human, and humans make mistakes!
- rjsabano@lukeschreiter someone had to
- danithedreamgirlWhat a brave soul you are. Everyone knows I'm obsessed with OBJ, he's a beauty lol. And if I were at a dinner table with him and he was on his phone, I'd want to cry. We as women feel so many pressures and when everyone thinks we're just over emotional or reading too much into things, it's your fellow female wolf pack that's going to simply say, "I get it." I totally get it! It takes a certain type of strength to make this type of apology...good for you!
- heezy913@lenadunham really lovely. Thank you.
- heezy913@garyoldmanmovie hahaha this wasn't good enough for you?
- heezy913@rjsabano that has NOTHING to do with her initial mistake or her subsequent apology. She very clearly stated she has no idea what he was thinking. There never was an assumption that everybody likes her. Which brings me to my next point... Why are you here??? I don't follow a single person I can't stand on Instagram. That's such an odd behavior.
- heezy913@rizqaan you're still a lunatic
- rjsabano@heezy913 good for you. I, on the other hand, will follow whomever I please. You know what has nothing to do with her apology to OBJ? Actually saying the words "I'm sorry." It's funny, she says she "owes him an apology," but never actually gets around to saying the words. There is nothing worse than a coddled millennial who thinks they deserve an award for admitting something that they shouldn't have done. Well, there is something worse: another coddled millennial blindly backing a coddled millennial. Lena Dunham apologists are just as despicable as she is.
- garyoldmanmovie@heezg913 I do think there is a much more broad issue to be addressed. And it's not what's good enough for me as I am not a man nor am I the human embodiment of feminism.
- heezy913@rjsabano looooooool I OWE AN APOLOGY LITERALLY MEANS I AM SORRY YOU FUCKING DIMWIT. Also, yawn at using millennial in a derogatory sense. (Im actually not a millennial but thx for the compliment)
- heezy913@rjasbano also fuck your assumptions im coddled. Gtfoh
- garyoldmanmovie@heezy913 I do think there is a much more broad issue to be addressed. And it's not about what's good enough for me as I am not a man nor am I the human embodiment of feminism. Reposting this-- I spelled your handle wrong because of my fat thumbs. 😅 it was merely a suggestion. Ms. Dunham has a very influential voice and I think recognizing that this is a much more vast issue is valuable.
- garyoldmanmovie@rjsabano @heezy913 based on your instagrams, you guys appear to have lovely families and behind whatever your device you're using I'm sure you're good people. Perhaps it is time to stop fighting. ❤️ I dare you guys to pay each other a genuine compliment.
- linaemoberg@kingryd hängt med i detta?
- immanniI appreciate that you made this apology and realize how problematic the things you said were. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾
- sunspacedYou shouldn't have to apologize!! I have had these thoughts my whole life at many tables with many men. I feel I am not sexy to men. Period. It doesn't have anything to do with race. The media is ridiculous. #notsorry
- belljar_shopablePeople are trippin'. You are a self deprecating comedian.
- rashidakpwow. very big of her to address this in a thoughtful way.
- bekyledOf course you had to make 70℅ of your apology about yourself
Log in to like or comment.