boygirlpartythe past 24 hours have been really complicated and frustrating as I discovered a copy of my pin sold in every mall in America.
so I'm sharing this: the original, my bowtie cat pin, an illustration I made of my first cat love Peechee. (my profile photo)
you can get my pin from my shop at shop.boygirlparty.com I appreciate the support right now especially because this scale of infringement feels like a death sentence to my small business.
this photo of my cat pin is beautifully modeled and taken by @bububun which I'm also sharing because it's #internationalcatday and it's helped me to remember that even when corporations steal my work, that I have the support of people who care about artists and see the difference between something made by me and a trace sold to undercut artists.
and especially grateful for the support of people who alert me to the infringements. thank you for being an "army of screenshot grabbers" and mall photo takers fighting for artists like me (@longwinterfarm's excellent turn of phrase) I couldn't deal with this scale of infringement without you guys and your support ❤️ if you see this pin for sale and it does not say © Susie Ghahremani / boygirlparty ® then it Is NOT authentic and please don't buy copies!!! And please, please let me know about it so I can do something about it.
#boygirlparty #arttheft #copyright #pingame
- smallmadegoodsYeah, LOVE your work... Having to deal with this seems crazy unbelievable! :(
- annie.blakeYou should seek local advice on your intellectual property rights, perhaps you can pursue this legally? I see you have a registration in place, did you also know that IP firms can put a watching service in place, which will also pick up on any similar or identical marks before registration, so that you can oppose their use?
- email@example.com the costs of monitoring services are more than I earn in a year. I am pursuing it legally and have already sent a cease and desist but the stores continue to sell the infringing goods.
- boygirlparty@smallmadegoods it feels unbelievable. I'm just one person and they've mass marketed copies of my work in hundreds of locations overnight. it's extremely overwhelming and they're sitting around deleting negative comments on their Instagram page instead of proactively trying to make amends with the artists or acknowledge their wrong doing.
- smallmadegoodsIf there's anything a whole lot of other illustrators can do to rally around and do something- I'd be all over it! Your style is amazing and brilliant and SO yours.
- tylerfryman@ethan__taylor__ LOOK HOW STINKING CUTE I love cats so much Ethan
- boygirlparty@smallmadegoods I saw hints online that Claire's boutique and Target may both have pin collections copying illustrators like me, so a vigilant eye on any shops who might be further copying would be a huge help.
- smallmadegoodsDeal (& wow, the big guys... what are they even thinking... kind of a joke- if only it were though, aye?)!
- nahcottaI've been thinking about this so much. We need more vigilance across the board on copyrighted material. I think what you're experiencing is more willful theft, but I've also seen unattributed stuff reposted on tumbler and on instagram and those companies seem not to care, We need a conference on copyrighted material in this new age. I want well intentioned people to stop unlawful use and crappy companies to stop stealing. In all our free time, maybe we can coordinate this. :)
- nahcottaBut really, I want people to stop stealing from you, because it's awful and demoralizing and you deserve so much better.
- boygirlparty@nahcotta the sad thing is, the people who would attend such a conference are SO not the problem. i had an idea on twitter, a hashtag for suspicious looking merchandise. people could post #isThisArtLegit with photos from questionable stores. help ID artists and rally around them.
- boygirlpartyit is awful and demoralizing. it does feel willful when they don't take the effort to pull the products or respond in any way.
- wizardlawyerSorry to hear! Do you register you copyright?
- jesseefish@undertheopensky I'm so into that idea.
- nahcotta@boygirlparty that's a really interesting idea. Would love to see it happen. ❤️
- puppitycakeI'm very sorry this happened. :(
- mavoraartYou are such a fabulous artist!! Sending my love!
- hoorayforeverThis shouldn't happen to you or anyone. It's lazy and lame. I'm sorry you're going through this. Your art makes people happy (my sister and niece loves their pins) and you alone should get credit/compensation for that.
- kaliebloodThis is outrageous! So so sorry you are having to endure this. I hate the circumstances, but I am happy I've been led to your shop. Everything you make it precious, I wish I could buy one of everything! Come next paycheck, I will be back to purchase one of your pieces because I am a new fan and because I want to support artists like you. Best wishes 🐱🐱
Log in to like or comment.