mindpumpsalAt some point in American diet culture protein became a "magic" macronutrient. According to common diet beliefs you literally can't eat too much protein and adding protein to anything automatically makes it healthy. 😂😂 I see candy bars and fruit flavored drinks that say "high protein" on them and they are placed in the "health food" section of your local grocery store. This is literally ASININE.
This stupid belief basis likely came from the body building world. Protein is what the body uses to build muscle so bodybuilders (who are usually no smarter than a bag of rocks) did what they always do...they over do it. "If something does anything for muscle gains then a shit ton is a great idea!!!" WRONG!! First off adding protein to a candy bar or a highly processed protein bar or drink does not make it healthy. In fact protein bars and powders are usually the most processed and artificial products you can buy.
Eating too much protein can not only be stored as body fat but very high protein intakes (like the ridiculous amounts bodybuilders and supplement companies recommend) WILL stress the kidneys, increase chance of inflammation, can cause insulin resistance and new science is showing that it may even increase CANCER RISK.
Protein is essential and a high protein diet will benefit your performance and muscle gains...but you can over do it. The overwhelming scientific consensus demonstrates that the UPPER LIMIT of benefit from protein is at about 0.6-0.7 grams per pound of bodyweight in relatively lean people. So if you are a 200lbs male then 130 grams is the upper limit for benefit. Most of you meatheads probably eat more than that and, as a result, you miss out on the other two macros fats and carbohydrates.
The vast majority of you fitness fanatics and gym rats are wasting your money on protein powders at best and may in fact be harming your health and preventing your full capacity for gains at worst.
Go ahead and eat a relatively high protein diet with whole natural foods but don't be mistaken...protein is NOT a magical macro. #protein #mindpump #ripped #fitness #bodybuilding #naturalbodybuilding #gains
- ericafitloveJust finished this with @joedonnellyfit 👌🏼
- mindpumpsal@ericafitlove Finished talking about protein?
- ericafitlove@mindpumpsal listened to the episode with @joedonnellyfit where yall talked about this topic. The 4 of you together...😳
- mindpumpsal@ericafitlove Oh...Hahahaha
- firstname.lastname@example.org you read the comments tho??.. All that protein shakes we been drinking? We finna DIE!!
- email@example.com im done buying whey protein lol
- jakexwalkerI've never understood the hype behind protein. What about fats??? Whole eggs, grass fed, coconut oil. Seriously, if you want strength and muscularity increase your fat and cholesterol intake. Easy.
- venthankk@lebout_frisco read caption
- raul_mora23@jaay_leb maybe you don't have to worry about that much to hit you protein intake
- bugrabslMan that was a hell of a reading and enjoyed every word of it 👌🏻 @mindpumpsal do you plan on making post about fat consumption as well ?
- bradallen_23So if I'm an ectomorph and have to eat a ton of calories to put on size, protein (at 0.8g/pound) will only make up about 15% of the total calories I need. So I'll just have to eat a shit ton of carbs and fats?
- pennyweightbrew@mindpumpsal I came looking for this post after listening to the show. Holy shitballz man! Just as entertaining as the show. This could be an entire podcast idea. Not this post specifically, but Instagram post etiquette, trolling, best of's.. etc. get that dude @mrkmrj on too as a guest. It'd be good.
- jcrod22@ejfernandez1 follow
Log in to like or comment.