potsinactionBefore most potters even had websites, Emily Murphy (@potteryblog) was blogging about ceramics. This week, she tours cities for us with #PIAurban. After studying ceramics and metalsmithing at Earlham College, she spent 10 years in Chicago at Lillstreet where she taught and had a studio. She’s now based in Minneapolis where she’s made the switch to soda-fired stoneware to cone 10 porcelain. Being true to the material and firing continues to be at the heart of her work.
Emily writes, “I'm fascinated by pots, potters, studios and kilns in cities. When I first started making pots, the image of the potter that was impressed upon me was that of the country potter. Further education was through apprenticeship until you were ready to set up your own shop on your own piece of land and continue the tradition of the country potter. In the city, expensive real estate, zoning laws, close neighbors and a fast pace aren't necessarily conducive to making ceramic objects, but because of those constraints, interesting solutions often evolve. With this week’s #PIAchallenge, I’m interested to see the influence of the city on the maker. How does the density of an urban setting encourage collaboration and shared spaces and equipment? How does the space in a city influence the scale of ceramic objects? What are the ways that the approach to clay is similar or different to a rural potter? Are there any urban potters using locally sourced clay? What's happening with clay in the urban environment that isn't happening elsewhere? Who is thriving BECAUSE they are in a city? What's happening with clay in urban centers, internationally? It's been inspiring to research the city side of clay with #PIAUrban and I'm excited to see how others interpret and respond to this theme.” A round of 👏👏👏 for Sarah Archer @sarcherize for #PIAadoptedcountry! -@ayumihorie
#PIAguesthostEmilyMurphy #emilymurphy #urbanpotter #urbanpottery #cityceramics #minneapolis #mpls #minnesotapottery #potterystudio #pottery #ceramics #keramik #陶器 #céramique #cerámica #陶瓷 #도기류 #도예 #keramikk #craft #contemporarycraft #handmade #potsinaction
- potsinaction@klineola - hello right back! So excited to be here!
- firstname.lastname@example.org, @gabrielle_schaffner, @dawnatkin, @kathrynschroederceramics - thank you- I'm super excited about this week. Can't wait to see how folks respond/ see what they share! --Emily
- potsinaction@catherinetweedie - thanks! You're surrounded by all sorts of inspiration for this week's challenge! Hope you'll dive right in!
- dianalempelThis is actually my dissertation topic - I'm just getting started on casting my net wide to think about it. Can't wait to follow and would love to host myself someday as I progress!
- potsinaction@dianalempel - WOW! That's awesome and exciting! I'd love to hear more. Feel free to DM me at @potteryblog if you're up for it! --Emily
- johnrileypottery@potsinaction My friends and fellow potters in DC discuss the issues you raise frequently. Thank you for drawing attention to them. I look forward to learning about the experiences of others.
- josharileyHello Emily looking forward to a short excape to the city!
- ananoordzijFantastic thoughts. Come by @FeetofClayStudio if you make it to Boston.
- ayumihorieOf course! Thanks for taking part in the discussion. If you have any suggestions for themes or ways we can make PIA better, let me know. @johnrileypottery
- ayumihorieThanks for the invite! @ananoordzij @feetofclaypottery
- ananoordzijPM me if you need any help with arrangements or stay here .
- kat_evans_ceramicsAlso very excited by this theme and hoping to see and share some images from the unique and ceramically important city of Stoke-on-Trent!
- kat_evans_ceramics@ayumihorie - related suggestions could be PIAheritage - making pots in places that have a long potting/ceramics history...
- potteryblog@katmakesceramics - I sent you an email last night. Keep an eye out for it.
- kat_evans_ceramicsHi @potteryblog - couldn't spot the email- Did you send it to email@example.com? Or Katherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
- potteryblog@katmakesceramics - I sent it via your website contact form. I'll send it again to your emails. I have had problems with the contact form on my websites, so that's why I gave you a heads up here! I know they can be finicky.
- potteryblog@katmakesceramics - ok, I just sent it to both of your email addresses.
- johnrileypottery@ayumihorie As @katemakesceramics noted, I would also love to see more about Stoke-on-Trent. Along those lines, but in a different direction, a week on ceramics and artists in the global south would be terrific. Whether using traditional methods or newer technologies, there is so much to learn from artisans working outside of western/global north practices and sensibilities. Also, a week on liturgical vessels could bring in an additional diversity of voices and practices. This #piaurban has been so thoughtful and lovely--thank you.
- potsinactionI love that idea Kat and am glad this connection happened through your comment! I'd love to post more global ceramic communities in general, from England to South America and Africa. Please send me a DM if you see a particularly great feed. Planning on #PIAritual at some point. Thanks for your suggestions! @katmakesceramics @johnrileypottery
- kat_evans_ceramicsThank you @potsinaction yes, will let you know if I spot any good feeds. Thanks for being so responsive and inclusive
Log in to like or comment.