benchcraftedThis specialized planing fixture now serves as a display rack at the Amana Woolen Mill in Amana Ia. It was originally used in the nearby Amana Furniture Shop, for what we're not certain. Many of the old timers are now gone. Lots of large chests and similar forms were made during the heyday of Amana's utopian period, could this be a dedicated Moxon vise? Or perhaps a fixture for planing door edges (seems too high)? We have not researched this form. #amanawoolenmill
- txheritageLooks similar to a skottbenk type bench
- toolsmithAt first I thought it looked like a large saw vise for two man crosscut saw
- rundellandrundellIt's a beauty no matter what its origins. 👌🏼
- benwenzel@txheritage I was thinking the same thing. Very Swedish looking.
- alpenwoodworkingVery cool. I must have missed that when I was there during Handworks.
- melendrezmichaelWow that's beautiful.
- amanteafinewoodworksThe Amana colonies in central Iowa have a German background. I used to live to Williamsburg, Iowa, about 15 minutes from there. I've seen this vise many times during my frequent visits to the colonies, but never knew it's use. I assumed it was a planing vise for doing long board edges with a jointer plane, or adjusting curves with a spokeshave. You can walk right along side of the vise as you were jointing a long edge,while the board is secured from end to end.
- iasjmoblerLooks a lot like a Norwegian #skottbenk to me ( @handverkar ). Which is used for jointing, and running grooves etc. in long boards. The planes used with these benches, have runners on their soles, that reference against the the jaws of the bench. Acting as both depth stops, and making the need for long jointer planes obsolete with this style bench (the bench jaws become the standard for the plane to follow).
- handverkarThis is what we call #skottbenk in Norwegian.😀 @benchcrafted @txheritage @rundellandrundell @iasjmobler @arobichaud26 See the website in my IG profile page for more about this. I would very much like to write about this bench on my blog. This is a very interesting finding. 😀👍🍾
- donbenito_cmIt's a saw vice 😂😂
- d._gentPerhaps it was for holding window shutters?
- bobduff02Ah a saw vise for the two man tree saws when we still had old growth forests...😋
- benchcrafted@handverkar I knew I'd seen this before. Thanks for the reminder.
- shipwrightskillsI would use it for planing the edges of curved pairs of boat planks. Looks perfect.
Log in to like or comment.