imythilyClassic shalwar kameez for happy #friyay. Origami inspired shalwar (pants), kameez (tunic top) and dupatta (shawl). For Mother's Day card design I decided to go with a salwar suit my mom prefers to wear on her outings. Pink and yellow were the kind of bright South Indian colours that I was forced to wear (by my mom) in the 90s 😅 and thus I was completely against all sorts of traditional clothes for the longest time. Until I grew up, became a woman and discovered my one true love - sarees. 😍 Now I adore all sorts of Indian, Pakistani and Bengali clothes and the beautiful cultural links between those and Middle Eastern fashion. I've designed a few paper Lengha and Anarkali suit pieces...hope to post them soon! ☺️
- imythily#origami #indiandesign #design #fashion #shalwarkameez #salwarkameez #desi #bollywood #paperart #paperdesign #bright #papier #papiroflexia #art #handmade #art #pink #yellow #summerstyle
- 22nevMy this is gorgeous! And happy #Friyay girl 😉 a few years ago I bought a red shalwar Jameel for a wedding. Very elegant and easy to wear ☺
- imythily@22nev my dear happy friyay !! 😘😘😘 They are quite comfortable to wear but I admit I don't own a single Shalwar. Have you ever considered just wearing the top part with jeans? That's what a lot of women do now to make it more casual. I think it is a fun summer outfit idea we can pull off here in the West. 😎
- 22nev@imythily that's funny because I had the same relationship with traditional Senegalese outfits. And lately I've come to love African material and tried to incorporate it in my everyday wear : head-wraps, tailor-made trousers and so on...
- imythily@22nev girl, that is exactly my experience too! Those cultural styles we rejected as young women for various reasons (being young and highly superficial for one 😜) are now something we've come to embrace...even crave because I think they give us a sense of identity and belonging as we grow up as women. I have to say Senegalese and South Asian prints aren't always...easy on the eyes 😄😄. Can we agree that both our cultures loooove the bright colours and loud prints? 😁
- sharmina.haq@imythily Ohhh I adore this design & your beautiful descriptions. Obviously love Indian & pakistani styles & their vibrancy but love African kitengi patterns too. I bought several pieces when we re-visited Uganda but still haven't stitched anything😉
- 22nev@imythily thanks a lot girl 😉 I've never thought about it as the kameez has a lot of beads and sequins sewn onto it. So it would look a bit too...sparkly for everyday wear 😅😅😅but I bought another kameez not long ago and I can't wait to receive it. This one will be a lot more easier to wear with a pair of jeans. Ohhhh girl you said it all 😂😂😂😂 some prints are just...wow. A friend of mine found fabric with Apple's apple printed on it...and they were golden. And the fabric? It was red. But you know what? It looks actually quite good 😄😄😄
- imythily@22nev 😂😂😂 girl I can just imagine that Apple logo print! There are some crazy ones out there with brand logos and writing on them..good lord! 😂 you are right, too much sequins and embroidery is not casual enough. Send me a pic of the new shalwar you are getting! I need colour inspiration!
- 22nev@imythily I KNOW 😂😂😂 I'll ask my friend to send me a proper picture of it. The one-dollar bill is also a favourite 😂😂😂 I sure will 😉
- pomegranatesThis is gorgeous! Love!
- uzma.nazI wear shalwar kameez almost everyday and it is really the most comfortable outfit for the scorching summer months. Lovely origami! Hope you will share a tutorial too!
- cheebaribbaAfter reading the comments I'm seriously thinking about buying such an outfit for the upcoming summer! ❤️ beautiful artwork Mythily! And the background paper is so pretty☺️
- imythily@cheebaribba you'd look cute as a button in a Shalwar Anya! They are very comfy for summer but make sure you get a cotton one if you do get a chance to buy one. Thank you! The paper is Indian textile print . 😀
- imythily@pomegranates thank you dear! I hope to make more with more style and flair. 😀
- firstname.lastname@example.org I completely agree! For the hot summer days, a cotton shalwar kameez is perfect. Thank you dear! 😊
- email@example.com thank you dearest! I didn't know what kitangi prints were until you mentioned it and I googled (of course) and gah! How vibrant and lovely. Now you've got me itching to get a kitengi print top for myself. 😍😍
- 22nevHey girl! Happy #Friyay! 😊 si what are your plans for the weekend?
- giacominaferrilloSo lovely
- vir_shiraiThis isSO CUTE!!!!
- radnessnetThis is RAD 🔥
Log in to like or comment.