leonardodicaprio#Regram #RG @NatGeo: Photograph by @thomaspeschak
Aerial photography is one of my passions, I love to hang out (tied into a safety harness) of helicopters and document the sheer exuberance of our planet from above. I have been fortunate to witness some incredibly scenes, but flying over the Amirantes Islands in the Seychelles was a very special moment. The kaleidoscope of the deep blue sea, yellow sandbanks and glowing turquoise lagoon of St. Joseph atoll made for sight I will never forget. This ring of islands was once commercially exploited for fish and coconuts but today it is protected and prized for its marine biodiversity and seabird colonies. Shot on assignment for @natgeo magazine for the March 2016 story “Return to the Seychelles”
While this looks like a fairly straightforward photograph to make, it was anything but. Not only did we have to fly a helicopter across 250 km of Open Ocean, but we also had to stash enough fuel on other islands to shoot aerials and get the helicopter back to base safely. To get this shot we circled the atoll for 1.5 hours…. until finally the clouds parted, perfectly framing the atoll’s ring of islands. Running low on fuel and knowing I had gotten this shot I decided to call it quits and we prepared to land on an adjacent island. Halfway to the landing site I decided to take one last look back and saw something over the atoll that I just had to photograph. The pilot gave me just five minutes and with rain lashing at me through the open door I fired away.
To see the resulting image follow me @thomaspeschak and check my feed in one hour.
#seychelles #aerials #conservation @saveourseasfoundation @thephotosociety @natgeocreative @natgeo
- speedymitchellNice picture. Good composition
- llajisI can't say it enough. Leo I love you 😍😍
- aaaaa____hhhhhسبحان الله
- sarahsibley83It looks like agate : )
- amyelizabethfrithA m a z i n g 💎💜
- martinaaaapinnaaaI love you
- writtenstarrs_@leonardodicaprio this is by far the most interesting thing I've seen anyone do. That must of been a unbelievable experience ! This takes a lot of love dedication to be so determined in finding things out about our world and nature and the animal kingdom. Beautiful picture!!!
- giselaflorentinaaItu apa,
- sandysichallengeLeo: your passion for the planet astonishes me...the lengths you go to just for us! Thankyou from the heart!
- fran_msantiagovideosNossa senhora, o que é isso?
- wing8500Seychelles was once part of Mautitius.
- wing8500Trip adviser travellers choice of best islands. Mauritius 7th. Among the top ten. Seychelles not.
- khalikmonirOnly Nature Is Capable Of Creating Such Serene Beauty.
- celiafitzgerald__LOVE U!! ❤️
Log in to like or comment.