closetcase.patternsAdvice please! I'm in love with this fisherman cabled sweater from the new @brooklyntweed collection but... Cables. I've never knitted them. I'm very much a mindless TV knitter and am concerned I would just make a mess of this. Pattern description claims its intuitive to knit and easy to memorize... Any thoughts, knitting gurus? Can I handle this? #snoqualmiecardigan
- heathertrebI I love cables. Fun and easy. am very much a beginner at knitting, but
- eearensI just knit the traveling cables hat (twice, actually) as my first came project and while it's nowhere near mindless, it's so freaking fun! Cables are definitely podcast material though, or for rewatching a series on Netflix.
- amandardesigncables aren't hard but they aren't mindless either; might need more concentration than with regular TV knitting 😄
- rhi.owensI find with cables the first 3 or so repeats I have to concentrate but after that as long as you can 'read' your knitting to see where you are up to, you will be able to do it without having to read the pattern constantly.
- smashknitsYou can so do it! Like others said, won't be mindless but it will be a blast, mega satisfying and totally gorgeous, that's an amazing sweater. I love cables, they are my favourite design element to knit. And addictive!
- rachaellynnmunsonI bought this pattern the day it came out. I completed another @mishi2x sweater a couple of months ago (Stonecutter) and it was by far the best pattern I've made. Kinda confusing right at the beginning but once I got the hang of it it was great! She and @brooklyntweed put out great patterns. You can totally do it! After I made my Stonecutter I did a plain stockinette sweater and it was so boring!!! #bringing heckles
- rachaellynnmunsonThat was supposed to say #bringonthecables. Silly autocorrect.
- valejandra25Don't be afraid of cables, they are a lot of fun. I recomend lifelines, a lot of them, like one at the end of every repeat. Also you could do the sleeves in stockinete or reverse stck so you only cable the body. I also want to do this cardigan, yarn for swatching arrives soon 😊
- annejeannegramLooks like cables on this pattern cross more or less regularly on almost every row (either all in the same direction or following a simple rhythm) so it should not be too difficult to follow. Also, IF you happen to make a mistake, "cable surgery" is rather easy to perform, especially when you are using a yarn that does not tend to unravel (and most of natural yarns are this way :) - you will find many videos on Youtube. A piece of advice if I may: teach yourself to cable without cable needle, it's way quicker. Happy knitting!
- hessmcrYou def have to try cables, they look so so much harder than they actually are. It definitely helps at first to stick a stitch marker in one of the stitches when you do the cable as you'll find it easier to work out how many rows you've done between cables, that's the one thing that can be a bit tricky at first. Also, choice of cable needle really helps - I find I end up really wrestling with straight ones, I got a U-shaped one in the end and it's way easier as it hangs down out of the way. Have fun!!
- flowerchildhippywild@closetcasefiles my first sweater was the BT Stonecutter with tons of cables. They are totally do-able!! They just look impressive. Might take a little more attention than TV knitting for the cabling bits, but I did plenty of that in-between cabling rows. We can do it!!! Enjoy.
- michelle.a.marek@closetcasefiles that is my favourite from the new collection, too. Knit along? Also, cables are easy.
- email@example.com I bought interchangeable needles and a skein of Quarry today for swatching. Going to knit a cable hat first but then TOTALLY down with knitalong.
- michelle.a.marek@closetcasefiles Ooh, what colour? Also, how much is quarry? (Hides...)
- firstname.lastname@example.org gypsum, same colour as the sample. It's $19 (x 10 skeins!) *chokes self*
- michelle.a.marekAnd you mean US dollars, of course. It will be worth it, though!
- clothhabitHeather! I'm in love with this too! I might be insane as a new knitter but I'd love to try it. I'd be down for a knit-along!
- nappyknitterWooooaw, for you 1rst cables try something more simple like Aidez from @ciriliarose (pattern is free on revelry!!)
- elisalexDo it do it do it! Cables are piss easy once you get the hang of it and soooooo satisfying. Def swatch first though for practice x
Log in to like or comment.