thepatchsmithFarmer's Wife 1930s block no. 82 Pharlemia. The #paperpiecing order in the book for this block is incomplete. There are eight inset seams and I found the easiest way as follows
1. Make all sections.
2. Join the following: F to E, G to E and H to E.
3. Join the next four sections but do not sew into the seam allowance: I to E/H, J to H/G, K to G/F and L to E/F.
I then took the paper off the main central section but not off the corner units A, B, C and D units.
4. Finally you need to inset the four corner units A, B, C and D. Use a pin to match up the middles before stitching.
Stitch the B unit to the main section along the B/E line only – do not sew into the seam allowance. Stitch the C unit to the main section along the C/H line only – do notsew into the seam allowance. Stitch the D unit to the main section along the D/G line only – do not sew into the seam allowance. Finally the A unit to the main section along the A/F line only – do not sew into the seam allowance.
I then removed all papers and joined the inset side sections of the A, B, C and D units by machine. You may find it easier to stitch these sections by hand but it went together fairly smoothly. #fw82pharlemia
- jo_grannyThank so much for sharing these very useful instruction 😊😊
- cathyewbankShe's a beauty 💕 thanks for taking time to post your recommendations
- thepatchsmithYou're welcome @jo_granny . 💟
- thepatchsmith@cathyewbank Thank you Cathy. I hope they help. 😁
- rosemary_deeI hate the instructions (or lack of) in this book. Very minimal. The book cost enough that the directions should all be in there. Thanks for posting this.
- thepatchsmith@rosemary_dee I hope they help. Thank goodness for the tutorials. 💟
- lynne3945@thepatchsmith thanks for the info
- verykerryberryHave to check this out and make a note for the errata page
- thepatchsmith@verykerryberry From what I can see the instructions have you creating the middle section and creating the outer section in a circle. I am guessing you then set one inside the other but it doesn't say. Also, if that was the case then I think this might make it trickier than it needs to be. The order I've given made it relatively straightforward.
- kathleenaogradyThat block is gorgeous and looks REALLY complicated😳. You have a great eye for color 😀🌟
- thepatchsmithThank you @kathleenaogrady . it took a couple of hours but went together relatively well.
- rosemary_dee@thepatchsmith Thank you! Your post helps so much!!😀
- thepatchsmith@You're welcome Rosemary 💟 @rosemary_dee
- horsenut2Which I would have read this BEFORE I tried to sew together per pp directions. I have it all sewn together and now a whole in the center. Think I will trash it😒
- carolanngillen@horsenut2 I was just going to send this to you! ☹️
- horsenut2@carolanngillen wonder if I can finish it like it is?
- thepatchsmith@horsenut2 Have just seen your block Kathleen. This is how I read the book instructions and it just seemed overly complicated to fit the middle into the outer. It is doable that way but it is awkward. Good luck and I hope it works well for you. 💟
Log in to like or comment.