grahamsherrieDo you have some straggling clementines or sad citrus in your kitchen? Peel them, put the peels in a jar and top with vinegar. Let it sit for 6 weeks or so, then you have a lovely citrus cleaning concentrate! When you've remembered about it, or discovered it in the back of a cupboard, strain and add an equal amount of water, and a tablespoon or so of liquid soap per 750mL-ish for a super surface cleaner. Back to today - section the clementines and you can freeze them to add to smoothies. (This is what I'm doing early on this Saturday morning - the boy who we have to pry out of bed for school each weekday invariably is up way earlier on weekend mornings. 😣) Happy Saturday!
- greenmountainmommaReally?! Awesome! Will do...because I do have sad clementines! 🍊😞😏
- tastyfishnchipsWhat a great idea. What kinds of things can you clean with that citrus cleaner?
- ruralrevivalStraggling clementines and an early rising boy only today. Oh boy do I ever have those in my house this morning. 🙃 lovely idea!
- grahamsherrieYes, @greenmountainmomma! I figured if I had sad clementines, you guys would too. 😂
- grahamsherrie@tastyfishnchips It's a great surface cleaner for non-porous things (plastic, laminate countertops, showers, etc.) not to be used on stone or certain metals because of the vinegar!
- grahamsherrie@ruralrevival Yay! I'm in good company! (My boy also peed on the floor by accident... 😂)
- grahamsherrie#kitchen #cleaning #housekeeping #naturalhome #naturalcleaners #diy #nowaste #zerowaste
- greenmountainmommaSo, by top...do you mean fill to the top? Or just above the orange peels...
- grahamsherrie@greenmountainmomma It kind of depends on how many peels and the size of the jar (it's not a terribly precise sort of thing)- As long as the vinegar covers the peels, you're good, and if it fills your jar, awesome!
- greenmountainmommaOk done. It's about half full with both. ;) a big mason jar! Thanks for this.
- grahamsherrieNo problem, @greenmountainmomma !
- beesofepping@grahamsherrie white vinegar is ok?
- grahamsherrieYes, @stephenrodger!
- onabranchI've been making citrus vinegar lately too! Didn't think of freezing them for smoothies though. Good idea!
- greenmountainmommaJust finished the cleaning agent. Do you put it in a sprayer? It smells great. Thanks Sherrie.
- grahamsherrieYes, @greenmountainmomma! Thanks for the reminder-it's been 6 weeks!! Half and half with water plus a tablespoon of soap per 750ml. I usually add a few extra drops of a citrus essential oil, too. :)Happy cleaning!
- the_pine_woods_witchDo you do any special cleaning to the peels first to remove the waxy coating?
- grahamsherrieI usually just remove the stickers, @pinecreekapothecary - I think the extended time in the vinegar would dissolve the wax, but I have no scientific evidence to back that up. :)
- the_pine_woods_witchThanks @grahamsherrie ! 🙂 I have some oranges and clementines to peel tonight, so I'm gonna go for it!
Log in to like or comment.