abattycakesWay to go, @sidicycling. Thank you for commodifying women's bodies for your profit, attempting to cheapen women's cycling by sexualizing half of your market and for ignoring not just what your market is telling you, but what the studies and science behind sexual marketing have proven (PS: cliff notes? It doesn't work). And @pelotonmagazine.. REALLY?! You ran this shite? You approved of this? Even as pro racers fight to get rid of podium girls and we struggle to remove ass socks from our tradeshows, you allow this? Because advertising dollars speak louder than your rag having a future, right? You do realize that within the next seven to ten years, both of your companies will be at the mercy of the very gender you have objectified? Yeah. Good luck with that. #womenscycling #blowingit #everydaysexism #fuckyouall (shout out to @localsarepainting 📷 and @michaelperegrinenelson for the heads up.)
- annamariastylesI got kicked off @pelotonmagazine social channels for calling out postings of podium girls, and for allowing tons of gross misogynist commentary. They are not allies of the women's cycling community, and that they run ads like this comes as no surprise. We have to hold people that profit from this type of imagery accountable.
- abattycakes@annamariastyles That's a shame. Instead of banning you, maybe they could have listened and learned a thing or twenty. But now they get to deal with this fallout... Oopsie.
- geargals@sailtowery nobody cares about your boner.
- abattycakes@geargals Ignore @sailtowery. He's the world's biggest feminist, but he's an Internet asshole troll that enjoys his privilege while poking at us 'crazies' fighting for equality. He loves to get under my skin and if I didn't adore him so damn much, he probably would. 😉 Ben, stop antagonizing people, you dick.
- abattycakes@sailtowery Oh, come on... It's not that I have a sense of humor (I don't -- ask the Internet), but I know you. However, to a lot of people, this is serious and not all of us have the genital privilege of not being objects and being able to laugh about it. It can also be really difficult to gauge humor via text, and there are lots of trolls out there who are genuinely serious. SO STOP BEING A JERK. 😜 Besides: I'm an object anyway. I walk down the street and am reminded, I walk into a magazine aisle and am reminded... Hell, I go on any 'cycling' or 'bike' site comments and I'm reminded of my exact value (or lack thereof), so now I just laugh at it, skewer the company (or the catcaller or the magazine) and walk away. It's part of my existence at this point. But you have to play nice here -- just because you have the luxury of laughing at it because you don't live it doesn't mean everyone else can. All of us are at different stages with this issue, and it's a little too painful for a lot of folks. It's not about 'humor' or not, it's about how accustomed we are with this and our place in it, that's all. But I love you.
- kingthenate@sailtowery Maaaan...I mean, even if you're into misogyny, you'd at least understand you're effectively voting against your own best interests here, right? Doesn't your paycheck come from people buying bike shit?
- sailtoweryYou're right @localsarepainting. Fuck Sidi! What do they think this is 1994? Burn the fuckers down! Is that better? And I'll delete my otherwise honest commentary so as not to inject maybe a little calm and common sense into a discussion.
- abattycakes@sailtowery See, now that bothers me; the very thing you take for granted and you joke about having a chub over is the substance of my future as an athlete. Regardless of what you've done for 'women's racing' as you put it, your job isn't over. Mine never is. And if you're going to have an opinion, I don't care if you don't agree or take this seriously, but this isn't just an ad with a woman in it and you and I both know that -- you know it so much, in fact, that you brought up your boner and her scantily-clad body. This creates an atmosphere of objectification and devaluation. Don't delete your comments: they're a valuable contribution and education tool for the uninformed.
- abattycakesAnd @sailtowery, being in the position to watch as women (coworkers, even) around you in the cycling industry are devalued, I would hope that you'd have an opinion and insight into the progression and valuation of women, not the debasement of. It's unfortunate you see this as one big joke instead of the bigger issue for half of your industry. And that's a shame. Because it's not 'humor' we need, it's humanization. A joke isn't funny if no one is laughing.
- abattycakes@sailtowery Wow. No one is flaming you. We were having a conversation, I thought.
- abattycakes@cockpunchkayla I'm fucking in. Come over this week and we'll do this right. We'll put an entire lookbook together and send it to the clueless companies who obviously need some direction. Look at us, being so nice. 😂
- kennykaos@cassholeparade it continues
- geargals@abattycakes I could seriously go the rest of my life with ever having to hear about some guy's thoughts on his own penis.
- abattycakes@geargals You and me both, babe. You and me both.
- kajebobajeShitty. Hard to think shit like this still happens.
- dethrone_devour@jennordhem here was that sidi add
- greenpedalmontereyBullshit lol and wicked lazy
Log in to like or comment.