taraswigerLast week’s reaction to the #BizConfidenceChallenge blew me away. YOU have so much to be proud of, you have so much to build your confidence on!
So...what’s up with the self-doubt?
Why do you doubt you can do awesome things when you’ve already done SO MUCH?
Often self-doubt (or lack of confidence) is tied to fear - we hold ourselves back (or think we're not good enough), not because we have any proof, but because we're afraid of … something.
When I ask my clients and students what they're afraid of, the answer usually surprises them. (It's easy to let the fear rule you, without ever even knowing it's there!) And yet their answer never surprises me - I’ve either felt it myself, or talked to MANY makers who have!
But once they identify the fear, we can work with it. We can question it, challenge it, or just allow it to hang around. (@Elizabeth_Gilbert_writer talks about letting your fear ride with your creativity in #bigmagic). That's your challenge this week:
Look at WHAT lack-of-confidence is holding you back from. (Sharing your work? Social media? Sending a newsletter? Hiring help? Taking the next step?) Then ask: What am I afraid of? If I did the thing now, what am I afraid of happening?
Finally ask: What's the WORST that can happen if that fear comes true? Could I survive it? And what's the REALISTIC outcome?
This isn't (necessarily) going to dispel this fear forever, and that's not our goal. Our aim is to see it for what it is and RECOGNIZE THAT YOU CAN SURVIVE IT. You see, even the most confident, brave people feel fear (of being "found out", of being judged, etc.). The difference is, they feel confident that they can handle it, and so the fear doesn’t keep them from doing what they need to do. ✨To take part in the challenge: Share a photo inspired by either
*What your fear holds you back from doing in your biz
*What you're afraid of
*Your worst case scenario
and tag it #BizConfidenceChallenge!
New to the challenge? Learn more and sign up for free lessons in profile!
- taraswigerPS. Don't know what to take a picture of? You can just repost this one with an app like @repostapp, then write your answers!
- jerilynnsfarmI'm in!
- taraswiger@jerilynnsfarm awesome! Just share your reply here or on your own IG feed with #BizConfidenceChallenge tag!
- jerilynnsfarm@taraswiger will do!
- fivesailsartandillustrationWell said!!😊
- knotjustcrochetedI haven't been able to figure how to repost your picture or find one to represent my biggest fear. I want to write a crochet book but am afraid to start because I don't know where to start, what steps to take first or if anyone would be interested in reading it or publishing it .
- taraswiger@leftycrochets so what are you afraid of? Doing it wrong? Failing? (To repost, you can download an app (like Repsot) or just take a picture of crochet, or a book! No matter what, you got this.
- knotjustcrochetedThanks Tara, I'm Susan from the Starship. I've been saying I want to write a crochet book for years, but never did anything with my ideas. I think I'm afraid of starting because I dont know the steps I need to take or how to get started. Thinking about it more, I wonder if what I'm really afraid of is that what if someone says Yes- write the book- we are interested in your idea- then I would actually have to figure out how to write a book and I'm not too tech savvy about figuring out new to me things on the computer.
- taraswiger@leftycrochets yesssss! I'm terrified of actually *having* to write a book too! 😮
Log in to like or comment.