selenamaemillsI saw this video on #buzzfeed on FB the other day, a fast and yummy looking tutorial on how to make #veganmacandcheese.
Unfortunately, while they had a good idea base texturally speaking (carrots to make orange, white potato to make gluey, cheese like consistency when blended), I knew it would be lacking in actual cheese-like taste!
Any vegan/vegetarian knows ... #nutrionalyeast, mustard and lemon juice are the trifecta necessary to make the cheesy flavour of the gods we all love. Plus, mac and cheese is loved by kids. I can't be sending cashew based cream stuff in my kids' lunches to a #nutfree environment.
So, I got to playing and came up with my own variation. Why not just use real cheese? I like to experiment with heathy, ethical choices when time permits. I'm happy to say I made this for the kids lunch this morning in 15 minutes flat while prepping the rest of their lunch, and let them taste. We all agreed: delicious!
Why not use Daiya? In my quest to make healthier versions of the foods we love, eliminating processed foods full of soy and other hard to digest GMO infused crap is also on my chopping block. I've been trying the vegetarian/vegan protein and dairy alternatives more and more and I can't do it. My body no likey.
Besides, sunflower seeds are packed with tons of nutrients and way cheaper than cashews! Check out the recipe in the comments. Don't say "ew" until you've at least tried it. You'll surprise yourself. #recipeincomments #macandcheese #schoollunch 👇🏼
- selenamaemillsINGREDIENTS: • 1/2 small sweet potato, washed, peeled and roughly chopped • 1 small yellow flesh potato, washed, peeled and roughly chopped • 1 carrot, washed, peeled and roughly chopped • 1/4 onion • 2 cloves garlic • 1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds (soaked) • 1 c. cup nutritional yeast • 2 tbsp. coconut oil • 4 (or more, to taste) tbs. lemon juice • 2 tbs. raw apple cider vinegar • 1 tbs. dijon mustard • pink salt and pepper to taste • 1/2 c. (or more) cup of reserved liquid from boiled veggies + macaroni • 3 cups quionoa or ‘tru roots’ (spelt, quinoa and amaranth) elbow macaroni (or try it with zoodles!) HOW YOU DO:
➀ Soak sunflower seeds in boiling water while cooking other stuff
➁ Boil macaroni and veggies (carrot, potato, sweet potato, onion, garlic) together in a pot (about 7-10 min., depending on type of pasta)
➂ Meanwhile, measure nutritional yeast, lemon juice, ACV, coconut oil, mustard, salt and peep into a blender
➃ Drain and scoop out chunks of veggies and add to the blender
➄ Drain sunflower seeds and add to blender, whizz everything until creamy
➅ Pour over macaroni and taste
Does it need more nutritional yeast, lemon juice for salt? (Those are the 3 magical ingredients to guarantee it’s tasty) Then add some more in to your preference
➆ Add other veggies like peas or broccoli or spinach as you wish
- selenamaemills#wellwarriors #selenaseats #foodismedicine #healthyeats #paleo #foodiefix #bodyfuel #nourish #nutrition1st #wholefoods #eattherainbow #fitmom #fitfam #instahealth #eat2live #train4life #instarecipe #rainbowplate #nourishtoflourish #instablog #wholefoods #vegan #vegetarian
- wholelifewithamyAwesome, Selena! I have tried many a vegan cheese recipe- and the processed alternatives. Might just need to give this one a try!
- jillian.newkirkLove it! Be realistic and make what works for you!
- thefoodiewhispererReally Nice!
Log in to like or comment.