mattiasklumofficialListen to this! This bat-eared Yoda-like creature is a small, African fox known for its enormous ears, which are over 13 centimeters (5 inches) long. The ears of the bat-eared fox are full of blood vessels that shed heat and help keep the fox cool; they also give the animal a very good sense of hearing. The bat-eared fox is first and foremost an insect specialist that uses its large ears to locate its prey. 80–90% of their diet is harvester termites. When this particular species of termite is not available, bat-eared foxes feed on other species of termites and have also been observed consuming other arthropods such as crickets, moths, ants, beetles, grasshoppers, millipedes, scorpions, spiders, and quite rarely birds, reptiles, small mammals and truffles! Fossil records show this cool looking canid to first appear during the middle Pleistocene, about 800,000 years ago. Took this photo in incredible Botswana! #batearedfox #bat ##big #ears #fox #africa #iucn #conservation #science @thephotosociety @bigworldsmallplanet @natgeocreative @mattiasklumcollection @natgeo
- alexandra_hemphill@catherinenelson01 daisy? Is that you?
- shm0nster@_janhavi very triangular
- hageybabeyU with king crab @toptechtoby
- protest.the.nero@beemoiscamera it's a Yoda fox
- bec_howard@jamesw_stevens This looks like you. Don't you recon @ashtonhurn ?
- rana_stitchUr ears when u were a kid
- megbeezzy@vurtue lolol
- sbrychtaBeautiful creature
- h.l.brown*HYPERVENTILATES* @bxccajot
- bjaggmaI don't think he/ she like being photographed
Log in to like or comment.