growmilkweedplantsSad story of a undersized caterpillar that fell while trying to form the chrysalis. It was wriggling on the floor. I picked it up, took this photo then re-attached the cremaster to some spare silk. It finished the chrysalis but it is severely undersized. The story is not over. It will either be a sad ending or a happy ending. The rest is still unwritten. Small chrysalis simply make small butterflies. We will know in the next ten days.
- terrydavittFingers crossed.
- growmilkweedplants@naturenellie I don't think this one went thru all the instar changes. Color looks okay so it will get a chance for greatness! 💫
- tj54117Aww..hope it makes it
- bmt108My last one did that and was unable to come out of the chrysalis. I don't think it went through all of the instar changes either. Sad ending (I stuck it in the freezer to stop the torture it was heartbreaking to watch) but the kiddos have a fuller formed monarch that still looks like it just emerged from the chrysalis for their bug displays.
- maridith22I've had a couple not go right, one that only formed a partial chrysalis and another that was very tiny and the wings would not open. 😔 It looked ok, but the wings stayed crumpled. I put it on some nectar flowers and it lived a couple days.
- growmilkweedplants@bmt108 I was close to freezing it. May still happen if it shows any additional signs of distress.
- growmilkweedplants@maridith22 My takeaway is that if something can go wrong it will. But overall indoor raising results is a much high success rate than in nature. I think that's a small win!
- maridith22Yes, we've had many butterflies! The one that wouldn't open right broke my 6 year old's heart. 😔
- growmilkweedplantsAfter the first four days, it appears to be hanging in there for now.
- sandra_piattMine get eaten by lizards i think....how do I keep them safe??
- growmilkweedplants@mrreilly_and_friends This was my small one. It produced a small healthy butterfly.
- mrreilly_and_friendsYay! I'm much more optimistic now. Thank you for sharing!
Log in to like or comment.