bibliofeedIn The Buried Giant, a mist that wipes away memories engulfs a kingdom and an old couple goes on a journey to recover the child they had forgotten. In a sense, there is always a translucent blindfold covering the eyes of Kazuo Ishiguro's characters. They stumble towards truth or love, see its form and might even feel the edges---the lightness of recovery---but end up empty-handed due to pride or a stubborn refusal to be happy. I have much love for Never Let Me Go, especially for the deliberate prose that Ishiguro employs. Most of the time, I just enjoy his gentle manipulation and his graceful words that engulf and quietly breaks my heart.
- kykk96Remains of the Day is so beautifully written. I think i'm going to get The Buried Giant after that.
- minanicole@hollycaroline gave me Never Let Me Go. It was such a good, sad read
- nennyjovakNever let me go is DAH BEST
- book_huggerI loved never let me go, buried giant was not my cup of tea, and remains of the day I haven't read yet. Putting that on my list!
- literamourHis novel When We Were Orphans is also a wonderful and yet tragic story. An orphan looks back at his childhood in Shanghai and tries to discover his long-lost mother. But he is very naive and gullible, blind almost, and his inability to grasp his own story is really sad. But definitely worth reading.
- thorbalanonThank you! ☺️ @embiggenbooks
- thorbalanonThanks. Try to read his other books. 😊 @bookbloggerwp
- thorbalanon@amandabelyew Thanks. 😊 Hope you find the time (and the mood) to read Ishiguro.
- thorbalanon@yuanvillanueva You've got quite a brilliant guy there. And I bet he was very touched that you reached out to him in the way of his favorite author. Must be love. 🐻👶
- thorbalanon@miss_olimpe That is an Ishiguro story in itself! Haha.
- thorbalanon@book_hugger I never can decide which is my favorite—Remains of the Day or Never Let Me Go. But today, since the sun is out, I would say the latter. 😊
- thorbalanon@literamour Agree. And When We Were Orphans' theme is very close to the books above. It's mostly heartbreaking and frustrating stuff but I can't keep away from his writing.
- lucymuseRemains of the day!!! No one writes stillness better
- thorbalanonThat's a lovely way to put it. Stillness. 👌 @lucymuse
- theclubofbooksI agree. I read The Remains of the Day recently and really enjoyed its subtlety.
- lucymuseThanks @thorbalanon
- bibliophilelovebooksF4F? Just made this account so I'm still new to all this😊
- bluskyys@nat_trivedi Never let me go also on my list.
Log in to like or comment.