raisetheboys"...nothing is fun until you're good at it. To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it's crucial to override their preferences." I'm rereading Amy Chua's "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother", which seemed appropriate for violin camp. 😂 While I'm about as far from a tiger mother as can be, this book changed the way I parent and how I set expectations for my boys. Are you a tiger mom? Anti tiger mom? Somewhere in between? #asi15 #violin #tigermother
- natcottamHmm, maybe I need to read it!
- raisetheboys@natcottam Oh you should! You don't have to agree with the method, but it makes for a quick and fascinating read.
- serenacherryI read bits and pieces and I agree with the idea, if not the practices. Hard work leads to self esteem and hard work is not always appealing!!
- twinmommelWhich is why my kids aren't allowed to quite piano until they graduate high school! So far three of the four have gotten to the point they are good enough that they now want to play and find it therapeutic. But boy were there some battles of wills getting there!
- raisetheboys@serenacherry Yes, I agree with the ideas if not the method. I like Chua's idea of the virtuous circle: tenacious practice produces excellence, which builds confidence and makes the activity fun, which then makes it easier to practice. Bingo!
- raisetheboys@twinmommel Same here! No one is allowed to quit. And someday they'll thank us, right? 😉
- milanagarinLove Preston's violin posture!😊🎻. "Beautiful tone, beautiful heart. The foundation of education is to carefully raise children with the ability to be fine human beings...." -Suzuki
- twinmommelRight! ;-)
- raisetheboys@milanagarin Aw, thanks, I'm going to tell him you said so! 😊 I just read that Suzuki quote to Preston this morning during practice! Suzuki had it right. ❤️
Log in to like or comment.