What is your dream?
"I have four daughters and two of them are already married. I dream of getting the other two also married into food families. Apart from that I hope that if something happens to me, my wife should be well taken care of. For that I have taken an LIC policy so I think she would alright without me also."
Maqbool Hussein works as a guide at Bada Imambada in Lucknow and this historical monument has been his home for the last fifty years, almost literally. Before Imambada became a tourist attraction in the city, many families used to live within the compound and his was one of them. He grew up living with the monument and knows every corner of it.
He takes immense pride in being the key source of knowledge for everyone around. He also takes care of training new guides.
Now he is fifty and one of the most senior guides here, still he earns only Rs 5000 per month. It's a struggle but he has managed to make a decent living so far.
This is a part of a 365 days project to collect dreams and I call it 'Tell me your Dream'. One dream, each day.
It's an open initiative and everyone is welcome to share a portrait with a story for a feature here. The portrait could be yours or a stranger. You can mail me at email@example.com. Or tag me in an image and we can take it forward from there.
24th April 2015
- jiya_dhingraBeautiful 👏👏🙏
- retrobombayAmazing! Thank you for sharing these beautiful stories
- rahul_j0shiBrilliant!Love the tones and the story!
- arvindkhanna19Love the picture and the story :)
- umapathybeInspiring. But we are wasting our " human resources ". MGMREGA is one such scheme, formulated in " ivory Towers" of Delhi. Most of the money was siphoned off by IAS-Politician Nexus. I am confident, his daughters would have got a laptop. How to make best use of this !
- shield_londonBrilliant project. Inspirational.
- dev60799mallickhi maqbul from mallickjohn australia give mno.
- dev60799mallickmno pl from australia .
- siddharthajoshi@shield_london thank you :)
Log in to like or comment.